The Northern Coast


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Mediterranean » Alexandria
September 3rd 2004
Published: February 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Our whole program decided to head up to the coast for a quick one day visit to the Mediterranean. We arrived in town, then proceeded to get lost fairly quickly, and slowly snaked our way along the beachfront searching for our hostel. Turns out that it was far further than anyone had realized. My conservative estimation is that we ended up walking for about three miles before taking a break for lunch. Of course, we couldn’t help but end up at a Pizza Hut. Maybe it was because we had been in the country a little over a week and felt that it was time for a taste of home. Either way, we spent well more than we should have (when compared to the cost of local food) and much less than we would have in a first world country, and went on our way. In a short time we had arrived at our hostel, which had no record of a reservation for the twenty of us. In typical fashion though, the owner had a ‘friend’ who could accommodate us ‘no problem.’ We then proceeded to move over the Hotel Leroy. I am sure there are worse places to stay in the Middle East; I have just not been to any of them. In all fairness, I have no doubt that the part of the hotel we stayed in was not usually offered to guests. The price was right at about $2 a person, but I was very comforted knowing that we would only be staying for one night. After dropping our bags and, taking into account that we would NOT be staying in our rooms for any more than we needed to, we headed out to explore the seafront and look at the citadel. For the rest of the evening, a small group of us walked along the coast taking the atmosphere and sea breezes. We went up to the Citadel, but it had already closed for the day. Looked like it may have been interesting to peek around in. Again, I am reminded of the downside of travel-study: the clock is always a factor, and the travel must always be kept in balance with the study. Since we had started the day off in Cairo, and walked for a while with our stuff, we didn’t feel like making a long night out of it. After sleeping in a bit, most of us took the late morning bus back to Cairo. A few adventurous people decided to stay in town for a few more hours and head back on their own.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Lunch at Pizza HutLunch at Pizza Hut
Lunch at Pizza Hut

The Pizza Hut / KFC chain is the most popular in the Arab world
Hotel LeroyHotel Leroy
Hotel Leroy

the worst place I have stayed to date
Hotel BarHotel Bar
Hotel Bar

Yes, it has been a while since this establishment served heavy A.
My roomMy room
My room

the bed on the left only had three legs; thus the slant into the wall
The bathroomThe bathroom
The bathroom

Kinda on the dingy grimey side
The bedroom next doorThe bedroom next door
The bedroom next door

hmmm...they must not use this one too much


Tot: 0.574s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 21; qc: 80; dbt: 0.4605s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb