Alexandria to Cairo


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Mediterranean » Alexandria
September 2nd 2008
Published: September 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Today we headed back to Cairo. Before we left we drove to Quaitbay Fort which is located on the site of one of the seven wonders of the world, the light house of Alexandria. We then visited the library which is a new building located near the original ancient library of Alexandria. The new library holds millions of books in six specialized libraries for (i) Arts, multimedia and audio-visual materials, (ii) the visually impaired, (iii) children, (iv) the young, (v) microforms, and (vi) rare books and special collections. The library also houses three Museums for (i) Antiquities, (ii) Manuscripts, and (iii) the History of Science.

After a 2 1/2 hour drive back, we arrived in Cairo, still terrified of the Cairo traffic. There are no traffic lights, no give way signs and vehicles don't stay in lanes. Everyone drifts across and sometimes you find yourself with three cars across a two lane road. Crossing roads is near impossible unless you are a local and then you just go for it.

We were pleased to find our new hotel the marriott very comfortable, the hotel is built around an old palace. We enjoyed a lovely meal washed down with Stella, a local Egyptian beer. We purchased an internet card so we could sit in the lobby and update this site, which we are doing right now while sipping a mango lasse cocktail. Tomorrow we head off to climb Mt Sinai so an early night tonight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.438s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 11; qc: 64; dbt: 0.1126s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb