Lost in Alexandria


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Mediterranean » Alexandria
April 18th 2008
Published: April 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Fort QaitbeyFort QaitbeyFort Qaitbey

Closed by the time we found it but open in the morning
Getting lost is all part of the exploration process and finding yourself is also part of the fun of travel. We decided to set off on our own this morning to buy train tickets for our trip back to Cairo on Sunday. Having great foresight, we had the hotel desk clerk write down the address for the train station in Arabic. However some of the taxi drivers cannot read. so having a written address is of no help. When you finally get to the station and buy the ticket there is no way of knowing if you have the right one. It's all arabic to me!! We will find out on Sunday if we have bought the right ticket.

We found the Graeco Roman Museum no problem, but it was closed so on to the Alexandria National Museum. Quite small but very fine exhibits. Leaving there we headed for the new library which is where the trouble began. We ended up at a mosque just as all the mouriers were leaving after a funeral service. We stood on the corner looking lost when we were rescued by a very helpful retired engineer who headed us in the right direction.

Found the fish market and had a great fish dinner. May have been a fish caught in the morning by one of the several fishing boats in the bay just outside the hotel during breakfast.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb