Day 3-Cairo


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Giza
October 2nd 2009
Published: October 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Another early start at 9am to Giza Plains, taxi drive was uneventful except for three near fatal collisions, thankfully none of them my driver's fault. Arriving at Giza, immediately accosted upon entering the site by would-be guides and those offering extortionistic camel rides. Have to tell literally dozens of hasslers about my undying hatred of the humped creatures, p.s. I hate camels. It seems everyone here is trying to sell you something, and if they can't they're trying to find something to sell. After seeing the admittedly very impressive pyramids and Sphinx, I continued onto Sakkara to see the smaller, but much older Step Pyramid, less peole, much nicer. Ventured into the tomb of Titi (stop laughing at the back!), which had amazing carvings and very low ceilings. From there, I went on to the Memphis museum which was far less bang for your buck, with very little on display. Long bumpy drive back to Cairo, followed by a wander through town, where I stopped in a sweet shop and was allowed to try a selection of items for a measly 10 egyptian pounds before having a Shawerma and drink in the odd atmosphere of a sheshah cafe. Upon returning to the hostel, Philipe approached with the idea to head out and see the coptic (christian) area of Cairo, so went out to catch the metro to a place with a completely star wars ripoff name Mar Girgis. We went with a yank who befriended on the way. Arrizing just after the museum had closed for the night, we instead found our way into a small christian church raised up on 3 old roman towers and decorated in an entirely islamic style. Then went on to by a dinner of koshary at a street vender (haggling included) and ate in a back alley cafe amongst wide-eyed locals. Later, back to the hostel to share stories and histories with the fellow residents. Late to bed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb