The Begining


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Cairo
April 6th 2010
Published: April 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Egypt. The Nile, Pyramids, Belly Dancers, Typhoid, Dysentery and overcrowded cities. What's not to like!

It all began in October of 2009 at breakfast at our favorite little diner, Rockets Cafe. where Rick (a family friend), Cathy (my wife of 33 years) and I are having our usual Sunday after Church breakfast. The conversation moves from subject to subject when Rick tells us "I really want to go to Egypt before I die"

Rick has been "dying" for the last 23 years! You see he has AIDS but is s survivor. He is the living proof of the old adage "only the good die young". Rick has been our friend for most of our time in Toledo, Ohio. We met him through church where Cathy was a member of the folk choir. Rick has been a close friend ever since even singing at the wedding of our oldest son Rick (ok our son was not named after our friend so do not get any crazy ideas here) to the beautiful Alla. Rick is somewhat of a medical miracle in that he has recently been told he is no longer terminal! So this is a celebration rather than a swan song.

Back to the diner... So Rick is bemoaning the fact that he has no one to go with him to Egypt and he is not going alone. So Cathy, ever the perfect person, pipes up "Take Phil he would love to go!"

I look up, and as the egg from breakfast drips from my open mouth I say "Sure sounds great" So began the great journey to the land of the Pharaohs.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.287s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0759s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb