In Cairo


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Cairo
March 31st 2010
Published: March 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: At the pyramids 0 secs
Here we are - our first post from Cairo. We arrived 2 days ago, by the skin of our teeth from Frankfurt. There were about 20 passengers on waitlist, we were the last people to be called for our boarding passes. We had a funny taxi ride to the hotel. Every one is very very friendly. People waving and yelling out to us in the taxi. One guy on the back of a motor bike taxi, came up to our taxi, whist we were all driving along and gave Rachel 2 Euros. Everyone is winking and waving, smiling everywhere we go. Yesterday we went to Khan al-Khalili, the old muslin area in Cairo and lovely market area. We had a lot of fun there and the girls bought scarves and Rachel bought a little Alladin lamp. We had fun bartering. The old muslin area was fantastic. Beautiful buildings, little streets it all looks like it does in the Indiana Jones movies.

In the old Cairo, Khan al-Khalili, there was a beautifully preserved house and it was lovely there. There were nooks and crannies, niches, fountains, stairs, balconies and lovely couryards and gardens. The architecture was amazing, so much decorative lights and carvings on the ceilings. Excerpt from Rachels travel dairy.

The market stall owners are a little pushy but not too bad. Kids are very friendly and the food on the streets looks and smells amazing. The girls are causing quite stir, Sarah has a had two marriage proposals, one offering a million camels but we don’t think he was serious. Rachel was really impressed with the cows head hanging in one butchers shop. Women are pretty well covered up. Some in full burkas and others in trendy jeans and shirts but nearly all with head scarves.

Not many tourist around which is great for us. Tourist season not in full swing yet. Last night we went to see the ‘Sound and Light Show’ at the Pyramids. It was fantastic when we first saw them from the taxi on our drive through the suburbs. One word to describe them is ‘big’. The ‘Sound and Light Show’ is at night and a little corny but the sight was really impressive.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



31st March 2010

Really good start you made! Now we keep track of your adventures... enjoy, Love Loes en Johan
1st April 2010

Hi everyone! We are keeping an eye on your blog. Just off to the airport to collect Imogen, she has been at boarding school for a term now and is loving it. Can't wait to see her. Talk soon and keep writing!
1st April 2010

hi
hey rachel, sarah, suzane and tim we hope your having a great time in ciro and cant wait to hear all ablot it when you get back. we will be keeping updated with the blog. have a great time. love lexie and kelly

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb