Getting a perspective


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Cairo
December 22nd 2008
Published: December 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ok, decided to try the African continent this time and here we are in Egypt. This time I am actually jotting thoughts down as the day progresses rather than months later!!!!!!

Our grand plan includes Cairo, the nile cruise, alexandria and siwa and our group is larger and efinetely more interesting!!!! The trip started disastrously on Gulf Air, the Chennai - Bahrain segment was the worst I have experienced in all my air travels and Jay and I whined non stop....

Fortunately we had a brief stopver at Bahrain and Raghu's Saturday ritual went as planned with breakfast at Sangeetha. And we headed on to Cairo in a definetely better flight with decent service. American airlines have competition on bad service!!!!!

Day 1 - Cairo - Had a touristy start with a sound and light show at Giza. That was quite sad and just not worth the time or money. But we did and it gave something to whine about!!! Afcourse the pyramids themselves were breathtaking and we thoroughly enjoyed the history surrounding Egypt, the upsa and downs of the civilization. Amanie our guide and Amr our driver are both so beautiful, we can't quite make up our mind on who we like better - Very charming and sweet.

Women here are fascinating. We watched a wedding at the hotel and I think it was a christian one as the bride's beautiful white dress revealed her hands!!! The women and their scarves were the high point of it and I will post some intresting designs a little later. Who ever said or thought women clad fully were boring!!!!!!!

Traffic in Cairo is horrendous and though I come from India, it takes some getting used to!!!!!!! I usually take Rough guides or Lonely Planet with a pinch of salt when they write about traffic and hygiene but this was a revealation and I had to get a whole new perspective to traffic!!!

Day 3- Alexandria - We are at Alex as I write this. Internet is faster and better and hence the patience to ramble a bit!!! Lovely cold wind and endless stretch of the coast...Ayman the concierge at our hotel is charming and it has been a lovely way to start liking this city, the second capital of Egypt.

Will ramble on as the days progress and our trip gets exciting. I am not short of company and its all really relaxing. Read up on the Egyptian history online while I blog my experiences.....

Another day in Alexandria - the weather is unrelentingly windy and has forced us back indoors in the otehrwise charming and historical city.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0309s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb