Crazy Crazy Cairo


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Cairo
January 13th 2006
Published: January 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hubbly Bubbly ManHubbly Bubbly ManHubbly Bubbly Man

Great coffee shop in Al Hussein - can't remember the name but it is named after a famous Eygptian novelist.
Before I came to Cairo, everyone warned me of how busy this city was, how easy it is to get the sh*ts and how amazing the pyramids are... well they were all right about this place. I have never been to a busier city, the roads at midday are as busy as the ones at 3am. Forget New York, London, Paris, Cairo is the city that never sleeps. Car horns do not take a rest, the sounds of prayer time ringing out loud from the mosques, and the laughter of children makes this city one that is full of life.

The pyramids are an awesome sight, however the getting through security is a task of absolute determination. There is shouting, beeping, pushing, bribes taking place, horse and camel guides chasing you to the entrance. However once you get through this all is quickly forgiven. The wonder of the pyramids is something special, these Egyptians must have been the strongest men on earth.

After visiting the Eygptian Museum it seems that this great nation invented everything we use today. Make sure you get a good guide as this will make or break your experience here. Luckily our guide spoke fluent English and studied the Pharonic period at university. The mummies are spectacular, my favourite is the first you come to as he is holding a big smile showing his teeth.

Pharonic Village is a great place to learn about Eygpts great history, in the guide books it says that this is village is targetted at Children's, please ignore this as adults will definitely find this interesting.

Regarding getting a dickie stomach well, I was definitely one of the lucky ones, I ate local foods, and was fine - thank God.

A few tips, take appropriate clothes, although Eygpt is very touristy, it is unwise to show off bare arms, chest, and legs. Make sure you have plenty of small change for tips, and also note at tourist attractions there is a price for Arabs and a price for tourists. Luckily with my arabic looks I only paid 20p to get into the museum, to tourists this jumped to between £4 and £6!

Enjoy these pictures:


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



6th February 2006

The Coffeeshop you went to in Al Hussein, is called Naguib Mahfouz, the famous Egyptian author :) Great pics by the way..
2nd August 2009

happy
iam so happy because you enjoyed your time in my country egypt but egypt is not the camel and sheep harder there are many of mdern places like alexandria library and cairo toure and madia prodiction city( middle hloed )the high dam and alot of tourist village on the redsee and Mediterranean with a great weather most of the year l hope you visited all modren and old place if not i wish u aill visit us another time

Tot: 0.365s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 62; dbt: 0.073s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb