The Falucca


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Cairo
July 3rd 2008
Published: July 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

One of the great pleasures of life in Egypt is an evening spent on a falucca floating on the Nile. We had our annual falucca ride two Saturday's ago (June 21st). A falucca is the name for the boat that sails the Nile.

This is a pleasure for a couple of reasons. First (and foremost in my opinion) when you're floating on the Nile you feel the breeze and the cool air that you rarely feel anyplace else in the city. So, an evening on a falucca is like going to an air conditioned restaurant to get out of the heat. Second (and a close second at that) a falucca ride provides a relaxed environment for conversation and fun. So as we enjoyed the breezes sailing on the Nile we watched backgammon games and heard songs and conversation and shared much laughter. We sailed our way through the bullrushes and could imagine where Moses had been found.

Maybe that doesn't sound like much to you, but in the chaos and the simplicity of life that is Egypt, a falucca ride on a hot day is about as good as it gets.


Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement



3rd July 2008

Lovely
How very lovely Pastor Amy~ The sunset is out of this world. Thank you for sharing.

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb