Kathleen makes a new BFF, and no, not King Tut (a.k.a Massive update #2)


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Cairo
May 14th 2008
Published: May 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We landed in CAIRO, EGYPT(!!) on Friday morning, and spent most of the day resting and getting oriented with our pimped out hotel. With both city and Nile views, there was no big hurry to leave the room, but we did, and managed not to get hit by cars while crossing the street (a pretty scary thing- the city has 2 million cars, and they all look like they are coming for you) iv order to take a walk down, oh, the Nile river. Tons of boats were on the river, and many a man was trying to get us three beautiful people on their boat as, well. We resisted, and instead went to dinner at a really nice restaurant in the hotel to celebrate Kevin’s birthday together. The next day, the rest of the tour group was arriving from JFK, but we had the morning free so we explored Coptic Cairo, and went to a place were rumor has it, the Holy Family hid out. Stuff was really old, and really pretty ( a pattern, I found). We then went back to the hotel to meet our traveling comrades. They were a lively group, most of them (all but 2 of the 16) had been sent their AARP cards, but all the reason to be looking forward to the trip more! That evening, we went to the restaurant on the rroftop over looking the city and the Nile to celebrate Mom's birthday. BEEF. so good.

The next morning we woke up, and headed out to the pyramids and the sphinx. Their proximity to Cairo, is actually pretty ridiculous. You can see the city (through the smog from the pyramids). We rode camels. What more does one really need to know... Anyway, I can't wait to be able to put pictures up because the pyramids, were incredible. No words, really. This is when I began to love/covet Mahmoud, our tour guide, as my best friend. the sphinx was right next door to the 2nd pyramid, made for that same king, and the tale was still there. Stupid detail, I know, but I was struck by that... We next hit up a papyrus factory, and watch the process of turning papyrus branch/leave into paper, the same way more or less the ancient people did. They were really smart. And then, we went to the Egyptian museum were I saw not only were they really smart, but they were really rich, too. King Tut was by no means an important King. If his tomb had not been full of artificacts, we probably would not have heard about him which makes the amount of gold and detail, labor put into his burial even that more impressive.

Ok, mind is turning to mush. I promise to pick up where I left off.

Thanks for reading, and if you get a chance shoot me an e-mail letting me know how are, too!

loooooove.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb