My trip back to the beginning


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Cairo
April 6th 2007
Published: April 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Thoughts about going to Egypt - Part 1

3/20/2007

Here is the tale of my trip to Egypt. For me this is the furthest I have been away from Tulsa to date. I hope it will not be the furthest I will go from Tulsa. But that is a tale for another time. After returning from Washington DC it was time to find my next destination. I thought about it and originally decided on Bangkok Thailand. But I just did not feel right with that choice. I had also thought about going back to England. But I had been there twice and I needed to explore. Anyway England had become a security blanket and I needed a new challenge. It was hard decision because I wanted to see my UK family again.

I finally settled on Egypt, Cairo specifically. I consulted a friend of mine whose sister lives in Cairo to ask about safety. I had read that Cairo was far safer than most American cities but I wanted to get a perspective from someone whom lived in Cairo, a source that I could trust. I got the usual advice about travel safety. Now that Cairo was now the destination of choice I had a rush of emotions. It was a strange and exhilarating feeling thinking about going to Cairo. It was a city that had filled my dreams since I was young. I even had an experience at the British Museum in the Egypt exhibit. I have seen the Ramses exhibit in Dallas and love ancient Egyptian culture. My mind raced with all sorts of thought about an Arab world. What would I see, smell and feel being in a culture so different from my own. I have traveled internationally but it was to countries that were "Western". They either spoke English or looked English. I had never been to a country where I did not know the language or looked so different than the general population. These thoughts were very terrifying at first. But then I realized that I must confront my fears or they will forever rule my life and actions. I will confront and conquer my fears of this "Strange Old World" of Egypt. It will be a life changing growing experience. I remember when I was about to go to London for the first time I was scared and even part of me wanted to cancel the trip and stay at home. But I took the trip and grew more than I ever thought possible. So now it is time for another growth spurt.

Egypt has always lived in my dreams and has been a place I have been fascinated with as long as I can remember. I know many of the popular Pharaohs and have seen many shows concerning the Old and New Kingdoms of Egypt. It was one of the first places I placed on my list of things to see before I die. The last trip to London I was in the British Museum and had an experience in the Egyptian area. Since I experienced the death of my mother at such a young age I have always known that life if fleeting. All we are and all that we ever do will eventually turn to dust. But the pyramids have stood the test of time and are a testament to the efforts, genius, and passion of the Egyptian people calling across more than 5000 years of human history. This is a place where you have to be humbled by the history this land has experienced and seen.

Imagining Egypt was one thing. Now I had to get there and find a place to sleep. I looked online and found a site about Hostelling. I looked in Cairo and found a place that was recommended by 97% of the people that stayed there. Also it is right across from the Egyptian Museum. I got a flight with NWA that goes through Memphis and Amsterdam. I picked by seat using seat guru online and think I got really good seats. I will leave Tulsa May 10 at 11 am and arrive in Cairo May 12 at 2 am local time. That will be 8 pm Tulsa time the previous day. I again had a case of nerves when I clicked on the "Book Now" button. It was $1200 I was paying for this trip and I was scared. Not scared of the money but scared in general because it was challenging. But I clicked away and now I am all reserved.

03/30/07

I spent this evening trying to figure out where in Egypt. There are so many places and so little time. There is one trip that lasts the entire time. I like aspects of that trip but it takes my whole trip. Then there is another one that is shorter and may have more things I want to do. I am going to lunch next week with a friend that has lived in Egypt.

04/02/07

I have decided to do a 4 day trip to Aswan and sail back up the Nile to cairo. While in Cairo I will see the pyramids and sufi dancers. I will also get to go to the Khan bazzar and islamic Cairo. Another thing I am going to do is spend my layover in Amsterdam on a tour of Amsterdam.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0213s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb