2nd port of call


Advertisement
Cape Verde's flag
Africa » Cape Verde
January 20th 2009
Published: June 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 16.0021, -24.0132

Saturday 17/01/09 St Vincent - Cape Verde Islands

A truly volcanic island chain, the barren rugged mountains dominate the landscape and the surrounding islands to the extent that it resembles a lunar landscape. After a brief visit to the city of Mindelo we travelled on to Catfish Bay to take in the majestic sights of the bay and the rugged mountain backdrop, the strong winds and fabulous breaking waves would make this a windsurfers/boarders paradise.


Having watched the Carnival Tan Tan band we saw the Mindelo Carnival Kings & Queens in their colourful costumes and the local fishermen with their boats before winding our way back to the ship. From a distant the roads look like any normal tarmac surface but in fact the roads are all constructed of black volcanic cobblestones making for an interesting if somewhat jarring and noisy journey.

Sunday 18/01/09 at sea wind force 8-9 sea 5-6m

Monday 19/01/09

At sea but a much better day today with the wind having dropped to force 4-5 and the sea much calmer, with temperatures of 27-29 °C. We cross the equator tomorrow so there'll be an interesting ceremony I've no doubt.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb