life on a boat


Advertisement
Cape Verde's flag
Africa » Cape Verde
March 10th 2008
Published: March 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I remember writing last let that I thought it was my busiest leg & I would have more time to blog in the future. I was wrong.

Our first day back my computer charger completely died. I asked IT if they had computers to loan and they did not. I really thought I was done…I don’t know how to function on this boat without a computer. Then, I found out the LRC (library) computers had undergone some changes so that you couldn’t access Microsoft Word, couldn’t print, couldn’t save to a USB and couldn’t access our internal email. Fannntastic. The next day I had class and talked to my professor about my computer situation. We came up with some solutions and after a full conversation, he asked me what kind of computer I have. It turns out he and his son (who is on the voyage as a guest) both have the same computer & he offered the use of his charger until I can buy one in Barcelona. I think he literally saved my life. I don’t know how I would write papers without my own computer and without being able to use the library computers!

So that fiasco was avoided. Thank goodness. In the last 3 days I’ve had a presentation worth 30% of my grade for one class and a case study critique due for another. The American cultural show is tomorrow night and we’ve had practice every single night for that which takes up a good 2 hours. Last night was a casino night which raised money for a hardship fund. They had tons of games, poker, black jack, etc. Unfortunately, I was stuck in my room doing work instead of using Gram’s poker tricks to make boys cry. The hardship fund is an effort to provide those without ample funds to do activities in port and be able to fly home after the voyage. While some people on this boat have money growing out of their ears, some came with only $100 to spend for the entire voyage. I guess we’re a good cross-section of society in the huge difference between rich and poor…

Yesterday there was a panel discussion on judiciary systems and how expectations, punishments, etc. vary from culture to culture and country to country on a large national scale and on a smaller, university scale. I was asked a few days ago to facilitate the panel and I think it went really well. I didn’t have much background knowledge on what exactly we were going to talk about, so there wasn’t too much to prepare. Thank goodness I’m well versed in winging things and BS, because I feel like that’s all I did for 2 hours on that stage. The feedback I received after was very good & I fooled people into believing I actually knew what I was doing, so I’m pleased.

Tonight is the first ever TSS wedding. A professor and her fiancé have decided to get hitched on the boat! I think it’s a rather genius idea because they’re not paying for much…email invitations, free music and entertainment, free wedding and reception areas…really all they’ve had to pay for is food! I’ve seen some people practicing and it’s going to be quite the event. Keirsten and Gianni (the couple) have encouraged a multi-cultural show, so we’re going to have Bollywood dances, a Moroccan dance, Spanish guitar love songs, and a myriad of other things I’m sure. We also have many musicians on board so we will have a string ensemble playing Cannon D and the wedding march. They’re saying their vows on the Aloha aft deck (that doesn’t mean anything to you, I know) at sunset, and the Captain will be officiating.

We are in Cape Verde March 15 and I have a presentation and 12 page paper due before then. We are then in Barcelona March 21 and I have a paper due before that port as well. This next week is just going to be A LOT of paper writing and research. Hopefully it will all get done, but we have so many other activities and mandatory meetings on this boat time management has become a monumental task.

I will make sure to take lots of pictures of the wedding and cultural show to post once we are in Cape Verde! Hope everyone has a great week! xoxo


Advertisement



10th March 2008

message from Dad
excellent blog. I'm glad your computer got sorted out. Sounds like your charger went bad. Hopefully you can find one at the next port. Have fun, be good and stay well. Love, Poochylacka
10th March 2008

Hi
Glad to get your update as I was wondering where you were! I am off to New England, but will try to email from hotels at night. Love you, Mom xoxo

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 29; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb