We're in Cameroon Now!


Advertisement
Cameroon's flag
Africa » Cameroon
December 16th 2005
Published: December 16th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Hello! We're finally here!

We left on Monday and arrived here Tuesday evening. We had safe travels all the way although Paul, our youngest son, set off the panic alarm in the Portland airport (just mildly, I don't mean to exaggerate) by leaving his scissors in the homework binder I was carrying for him...

It took three hours to collect our luggage once we reached the Douala airport. It was very hot and muggy and we had porters vying to help us with our 21 pieces of luggage. George, Joe's brother in law, had come to meet us with two vehicles -- his car and a rented van. All the luggage was tied on the top of the van and we headed to Limbe where George lives.

Limbe is a town of about 100,000 at the foot of Mt. Cameroon, the highest mountain in West Africa. George lives in what we might consider a suburb. The roads are absolutely horrible. Once there, I got to meet my sister in law, Patricia, and niece and nephew, Ndase (age 8) and Azuiase (age 7) for the first time. Soon Paul was racing little zip zap cars (which we took along) with Ndase. Azuiase received a baby doll and has carried it everywhere. We had a black one and a white one and interestingly, she chose the white one. They are bright children with beautiful smiles.

So much fills my head and my senses that I don't know what to tell you. This country is so beautiful. Lush, green. Palm trees, flowers, and what we consider exotic tropical plants, even growing in garbage heaps!

This country is such a study in contrasts. Homes have TVs and, yes, even cable is available. Few land phones but everyone has at least one cell phone. They all purchase prepaid minutes. And yet roads are very rough. Homes can be fairly nice but also very primitives -- standing next to each other.

The food is wonderful. Fresh pineapple and papaya. There is no comparison. Even the carrots taste sweeter. Due to volcanic activity, the soil is very rich and much can be grown.

Electricity can be intermittant. George has a lovely home -- About eight bedrooms if I'm counting right, on a large lot, high on a hill with a beautiful view of the town and surrounding area. Yet, he does not have running water. The pump is not strong enough to get the water up the hill. They do have a well but that is not good for drinking water although great for bathing and cleaning.

We've met many people, more relatives, members of the Good Samaritan work in Cameroon.

Yesterday we visited two schools and handed out pencils. Good schools but very bare. They do much with little. We are so spoiled and, at times, wasteful.

We also met with several people and heard their stories: a young widow who has no way to support her children, especially as her youngest, Joy, age 14, is mentally retarded and can't be left alone. There are no social services here to help and the girl is molested when not watched. Anastacia, the mother, has no relatives to turn to as she can't return to her village because her husband's family confiscated all of his belongings and their home when he died, enabled by laws here. My mother taught her how to crochet and decorate flip flop sandals to sell in the market in order to earn a bit more money. Good Samaritan Ministry would like to employ her as a secretary but does not have the money necessary ($60-75 a month) to pay her.

The second is a 14 year old boy who has finished primary school (most of the population finishes primary school but only the fortunate are able to go on to secondary school and college) who is the support of his family -- his mother and four younger siblings. He wants to become a cabinet maker in order to better support them. It will cost $150 per year for two years for his training and there is no money for that. We have agreed to help him pay for his training. Average income in Cameroon is about $30-60 a month unless you have training in some field that pays better. It is hard to move beyond those circumstances unless someone gives you a helping hand.

Last night, we attended a meeting of the Good Samaritans here who pooled together resources to put together a packet for widows, orphans, and other destitute people for Christmas. They will give them rice and beans and other assorted items. We gave them small medical kits and some clothing and other items for children. These Christmas gifts go not only to those who are Christians but anyone they have identified with need in the community. People gave what they were able. Often the widow's mite.

Today, we are going to the zoo and botanical gardens.

Sometime next week we will go to the "resort" town of Kribi and then up to Bamenda, Yaounde, Awing, and other towns. It feels as though our time here is already short.

I will post again when I am able. I have absolutely wonderful pictures to post here but unfortunately the computers in the cybercafe are unable to accomodate my card reader. I will save some pictures to floppy back at the house and try again at a later date.

Merry Christmas to all.

Advertisement



16th December 2005

So good to hear that you arrived safe and sound and are enjoying your time thus far. Sounds very interesting. We'll look forward to seeing your pics at a later date. Merry Christmas to everyone there!
18th December 2005

wonderful to hear
oh, Denny, it is so good to hear from you and about all that you are seeing. I'm eager to see your pictures, you are such an awesome photographer. We miss you but know you are doing such good where you are and we are so thankful for your reports.
21st December 2005

merry christmas
It sounds as if you are having a wonderful time we are keeping you in our pryers.

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0861s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb