Look who else was at the fish trap!


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana » North-West » Okavango Delta
November 24th 2010
Published: November 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Waiting for a hunt to take place requires luck, skill and patience - lots of it.
During my stay at Duba Island, we were monitoring the Tsaro Prides attempt at hunting a buffalo. It was taking some time so we opted to take a quick drive and see what else we could find. Rounding a corner, the light starting to fade behind a huge storm cloud, we came across a fish trap.

A fish trap is a small inlet which is about to dry up and a feeding frenzy was in place. A variety of birds had gathered to catch their feast!

We parked, counted the variety of bitds that included yellow billed stalks, great egrets, open billed storks and African spoonbills to name a few.

Whilts focusing on a bird, I noticed a pair of sinister eyes...........and a snap something shot up out of the water! a crocodile came from no where and snapped a fish. I then realised that the fish trap belonged not only to the birds, but the predators too. Three fair sized crocs moved amongst the birds, all filling their bellies.

One croc in particular had it made. He lay horizontally across the narrow gully, blocking the flow of the water and the escape route of the fish. Occassionally he would just open his mouth and a stream of small fish flowed in. I like his manner, one smart crocodile.
The next day we returned, hoping to capture a few more interesting scenes, but all had left the fish trap leaving an almost surreal scene behind.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0823s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb