Savuti Camp


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana » North-West » Chobe National Park
April 27th 2006
Published: June 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Flyin in styleFlyin in styleFlyin in style

Didn't quite break the speed of sound! Gotta love these puddle jumpers though.
We took a "puddle jumper" to Savuti Camp, it was a little over an hour & half flight! I'd say the plane was smaller than the Concorde, and slower than a Snail in a quick crawl. It was fun though, especially when we hit some turbulence.

Our arrival at Savuti Camp was a little on the wet side as an afternoon shower developed. Yours truly, my lower lip began to extend out because in the back of my mind, were we going to have one of those Texas showers that can go on forever, or would we have a "quickie". My mind eased up about an hour later! Off we went for a late afternoon drive to see what "dangers" would lie ahead.

As we were driving down a hill, we encountered a couple of frisky, bull elephants, I guess they were having a "guy's night out" session. They kept their eye on us, came very close to the vehicle, but at the last minute, they decided that we weren't worth the "trouble". It is something when you have more than 4-5 elephants gang up on you, after all, they are the "heavy weight" champs out there.

The
King sized greetingKing sized greetingKing sized greeting

Meet & greet committee - boys night out!
next form of life that we encountered was a Wildebeest. During this time of the year is the Wildebeest and Zebra migration.

It wasn't long after our meet & greet session with the elephants that we discovered 4 lioness's and their cubs. The cubs seemed to keep their Mom on her toes, but eventually she got up and wandered around.

Our vehicles were Land Rovers (4 wheel drive - completely open), so any wild life, if they put their mind to it, could be in the "driver's seat". I never really thought about it, until Mama Lioness came around the back of the vehicle, and sat down, next to the left rear tire. Naturally, I'm always leading up the "rear", and if I really wanted to go for the gusto, I could lean over and pat her on the head and say "job well done". Instead, we all looked at each other, not saying a word, not even sure we are breathing. It's not like we were living in total fear, but for me, it was more in awe! The ol saying goes "if Mama ain't happy, no one is going to be happy". This was one of
Lion youngstersLion youngstersLion youngsters

There's not a whole lot of difference in the mischief of youngsters, be it human or animal. When it is play time, its play time. Mama was very close by.
our heart stopping moments!

What didn't surprise me, was "Pops", the male lion sleeping on the job. Once night prevailed though, it seemed he came "roaring" to life. It was incredible to see him, with all of his energy going from his diaphragm, all the way out, roaring across the land! The rain had washed away his "scent", therefore, he went on marking his territory all over again. He really had the gusto to make that roar!

Finally, night prevailed and we ended the evening with the sighting of an owl in the tree. Between darkness, the gnarled trees, and the owl, it gave the night a character of its own. Seeing the milky way was an added bonus!

During the next day, we saw even more unique animals, and I was "stared" down by a male lion. He was less than pleased when I stood up in the vehicle to get a better picture of him. We saw Zebra at play; some Warthogs (looked like some of the guys I went to school with); a black backed Jackal; Giraffe feeding their young; Cheetah; an elephant skull (he had been shot in the head twice); Leopard, and
Mama lionMama lionMama lion

Mama seemed to be pretty relaxed around us.
other animals.

Savuti, which is located in the northern part of Botswana was full of wild life. For me, it was one of my favorite areas simply because there was such an abundance of life! The camp site was out of this world, food was great, it was really hard to leave.




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

King of the JungleKing of the Jungle
King of the Jungle

Pops carried on quite a conversation with the women of the pride, they were about 1/2 mile from each other. I don't know who got the last "roar" in.
Doesn't give a hoot.Doesn't give a hoot.
Doesn't give a hoot.

Asleep on the job.
WildebeestWildebeest
Wildebeest

Wildebeest - this is a goatee gone bad. He isn't starving, these are the stripes that come through.
The "Look"The "Look"
The "Look"

I didn't know if I was going to be his next meal. Maybe because I didn't have my nails done.
Vision in the bushVision in the bush
Vision in the bush

Life through the eye of an elephant!
WarthogWarthog
Warthog

Warthog - no, this was not my Prom Date!
King size skullKing size skull
King size skull

Incredible - the size of this skull. Now, I understand why the memory of an elephant is long term! This elephant had been shot.
Afternoon teaAfternoon tea
Afternoon tea

The baby animals are always so cute and fascinating to watch.
Wild life mixWild life mix
Wild life mix

On this trip, I was in awe at the different types of animals that were with each other. There seem to be plenty of room for all.
SpotsSpots
Spots

I saw "spots" - leopards are very elusive cats. You can go on safari and never see one.
Runner of the jungleRunner of the jungle
Runner of the jungle

Cheetah - he's the cats meow. He got fired for running too fast!
Home in SavutiHome in Savuti
Home in Savuti

Home sweet home in Savuti. At night, I could hear the lion roar in the distance - I went to sleep with a smile on my face! Mission accomplished!


Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 85; dbt: 0.1008s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb