Linyanti Camp


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana » North-West » Chobe National Park
April 29th 2006
Published: June 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Lilac Breasted RollerLilac Breasted RollerLilac Breasted Roller

These are one of my favorites.
I am thrilled to share my pictures with each of you and it makes my day a little bit special when I know everyone enjoys them. I am so grateful for the eyes that have been given to me to see the people, the animals, and the vast regions of Africa. I am so grateful for the ears in which I can hear the different sounds of birds and animals, as well as the laughter of children. I am so grateful to have the tongue in which I can speak of my experiences with great passion!

To the northeast of the Okavango Delta are the Chobe and Linyanti Game Reserves. These areas are renowned for their predators and large concentrations of game, particularly elephant. Dereck and Beverly Joubert made the region famous in their National Geographic films. "Eternal enemies" is a classic, and chronicles in detail the interaction between Lion and Hyaena.
There are many varied habitats within the Chobe and Linyanti Parks: marshes, waterways, riverine forests, dry woodlands and the world famous Savuti Channel. The Savuti Channel is a "waterway" that connects the Linyanti River from Zibadianja Lagoon, with the interior of the Chobe National Park at the Savuti
BateleurBateleurBateleur

Also known as Snake Eagle
Marsh. The Savuti has only ever flowed intermittently and dried up for the last time in 1980. Today the Savuti Channel is an open grassland and home to a variety of different animals.

The Linyanti Wildlife Reserve is a 275,000 acre private reserve on Chobe's Western boundary. This area is very different from the Okavango and should be included in every Botswana itinerary so that travellers have a more varied and balanced experience of the country. There are three main features of the Linyanti Wildlife Reserve: the Linyanti River, Savuti Channel and the woodlands of the interior. Two thirds of the famous Savuti Channel is in this private reserve and guests are able to view abundant wildlife privately and exclusively. The last stretches of Africa's Great Rift Valley divide the forests of the interior with the rivers and floodplains of the Linyanti and it is along this ridge (and along the Savuti Channel) that one sees the best wildlife.

Yours truly enjoyed Savuti Camp and Linyanti Camp the most. Should you desire to go to Africa, these two camps should be on your trip planner! Just a note, when I knew I wanted to go to Africa, I
Early to riseEarly to riseEarly to rise

Rise and shine.
mulled over: Tanzania; Kenya; Zimbabwe; Zambia; and finally Botswana. It didn't take me long to pick Botswana because the country of Botswana limits the amount of tourists and it was more off the beaten path. The last thing you want to do is go on one of these photo safaris, only to have another 5-10 vehicles surround the same animals that you are looking at!

Our drive from Savuti Camp to Linyanti Camp takes about 1.5 hours, although we decided to make it several hours so we could see more wild life. One of the things I noticed, is much of the trees were reduced to the sizes of small shrubs due to heavy elephant traffic. It isn't uncommon for this part of Botswana to have thousands and thousands of elephants!

The bird life is just as incredible, if not more so than all of the other areas we had been to. I would flunk the bird quiz because there are over 550 species of birds! Hence, I didn't learn the name of every one of them. The colors, sizes, and sounds are incredible! The best time to go birding is very early in the morning or right
Kori BustardKori BustardKori Bustard

Odd looking bird.
before sundown. I can assure you, they are hard as crap to photograph, you think you have them in focus, you click the shutter, only to realize that you've shot a "blank"!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

UBOUBO
UBO

Unidentified Bird Object
Horse PlayinHorse Playin
Horse Playin

Zebra at play.
What big feetWhat big feet
What big feet

Lioness - what big feet! Watching the pride was fascinating especially with prey in the area.
Siesta in the bushSiesta in the bush
Siesta in the bush

The "pride" it is siesta time! Babes are snoozing away.
Take out orderTake out order
Take out order

The pride lucked out and made their "kill" on a zebra.
Last of the bunchLast of the bunch
Last of the bunch

The lioness and cubs are always the last to "chow down".
PopsPops
Pops

Pops was starring in a remake of "Supersize Me". His belly was expanded from the feast.
In the wingsIn the wings
In the wings

Hope springs eternal for these birds. Waiting for scraps
Tall tailsTall tails
Tall tails

Sky is the limit with these Giraffe!
Look at meLook at me
Look at me

Up, Close and Personal. His eyelashes are made by Maybelline.
KuduKudu
Kudu

Side view. They run faster than I can click my shutter.
KudusKudus
Kudus

They are fascinating with their hump.
NailedNailed
Nailed

Cheetah is checking out her manicure. This is one of my favorite pics!
BaboonBaboon
Baboon

He's mulling over his promotion.
HippoHippo
Hippo

Our first Hippo encounter.
Hippo skullHippo skull
Hippo skull

I'd probably look like that if I had to swim in that green stuff.
Elephant crossingElephant crossing
Elephant crossing

Danger, elephant crossing. In Chobe National Park, there seems to never be a shortage of elephants.


Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 80; dbt: 0.0701s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb