Dassa and Basketball


Advertisement
Benin's flag
Africa » Benin
September 22nd 2007
Published: September 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

I visited another friend of mine in the Collines region, or in English, the Hills region. It's beautiful up there, and a drier climate much like the north. These people fleeed the Fon by living in the hills during the time of slavery because the Fon would take prisoners to trade with the Yovos. The pictures show a little of the life in the hills.
The basketball pictures are there because I like them a lot- the first one is the boys' and girls' teams, the second is of the basketball court on the day of the regional school tournament, looking its best.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Felicie and BeyondFelicie and Beyond
Felicie and Beyond

The volunteer and her home.
Lots of GreenLots of Green
Lots of Green

This photo is toward three of the closest hills, and shows the vegetation in full force.
From Far AwayFrom Far Away
From Far Away

More of the hills.
Making GravelMaking Gravel
Making Gravel

The hills are full of huge granite boulders, which the locals break apart first with fire, and then haul them down-hill to break apart. This picture is of the final step, by hand, one by one. The work is more constant than cultivating corn.
Grinding CornGrinding Corn
Grinding Corn

When the villagers fleeed the Fon, they used the boulders to grind the corn. This picture shows the holes left from all the grinding.
What to do on a RockWhat to do on a Rock
What to do on a Rock

Mathurin chills, Felicie looks through the binoculars at the nearest town, and I take pictures.
On the CourtOn the Court
On the Court

Before the players arrived, on the court.
Team AthiemeTeam Athieme
Team Athieme

Win or lose, we still played, and that's better than last year.


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0575s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb