Background: Ancient Peru was the seat of several prominent Andean civilizations, most notably that of the Incas whose empire was captured by the Spanish conquistadors in 1533. Peruvian independence was declared in 1821, and remaining Spanish forces defeated in 1824. After a dozen years of military rule, Peru returned to democratic leadership in 1980, but experienced economic problems and the growth of a violent insurgency. President Alberto FUJIMORI's election in 1990 ushered in a decade that saw a dramatic turnaround in the economy and significant progress in curtailing guerrilla activity. Nevertheless, the president's increasing reliance on authoritarian measures and an economic slump in the late 1990s generated mounting dissatisfaction with his regime. FUJIMORI won reelection to a third term in the spring of 2000, but international pressure and corruption scandals led to his ouster by Congress in November of that year. A caretaker government oversaw new elections in the spring of 2001, which ushered in Alejandro TOLEDO as the new head of government; his presidency has been hampered by allegations of corruption.
Photos from Tarapoto
Blogs from Tarapoto
Latest Blogs from Tarapoto
- October 31st 2013 In a hammock in Tarapoto
by Words: 560 Photos: 12
- October 16th 2013 JUNGLE TIME!
by Words: 1219 Photos: 8
- October 2nd 2011 End of Ecuador and beginning of Peru!
by Words: 423 Photos: 20
- July 25th 2011 Hola Amigos...
by Words: 285 Photos: 0
- July 25th 2011 Part 2
by Words: 390 Photos: 0
- January 16th 2011 REINTRODUCING LOCAL SPECIES AT THE TAMUSHAL WATERFALL
by Words: 504 Photos: 0
- November 22nd 2009 Quick adventure to the amazon
by Words: 311 Photos: 0
- April 24th 2009 ‘I drink good coffee every morning...it comes from a place that’s far away...’
by Words: 1292 Photos: 49
- October 30th 2008 TARAPOTO: Grotty little Amazonian Gateway
by Words: 366 Photos: 0
- July 29th 2008 Amazonian Adventure - Yurimaguas, Pacasamayo, Tarapoto
by Words: 1422 Photos: 0
- February 18th 2008 Yurimaguas-Iquitos Boat
by Words: 590 Photos: 0
- February 17th 2008 Taxi to Yurimagus
by Words: 538 Photos: 0
- February 16th 2008 Tarapoto y Lamas y Yurimaguas
by Words: 332 Photos: 0
- December 28th 2007 suite et fin (for now anyways)
by Words: 58 Photos: 37
- November 26th 2007 a little taste of heaven
by Words: 1 Photos: 57
- November 23rd 2007 la selva....
by Words: 1233 Photos: 14
- September 22nd 2007 Jungle Boogie
by Words: 931 Photos: 15
- March 21st 2007 Yurimaguas to Tarapoto to San Roque PERU
by Words: 754 Photos: 9
- March 21st 2007 Going Home! My work in Peru is done for now...
by Words: 1076 Photos: 1
- July 28th 2006 Latest update!
by Words: 1314 Photos: 25