REINTRODUCING LOCAL SPECIES AT THE TAMUSHAL WATERFALL


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » San Martín » Tarapoto
January 16th 2011
Published: January 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Tarapoto was a good “base point” for some great hikes to various waterfalls. We recommend you to get information at the tourism agency of the municipality, which is in Plaza de Armas. This is a public information point and therefore allows you to plan your own trips without having to go on more expensive tours organised by private agencies. In fact, this office puts you directly in contact with those guides who live in the villages close to the waterfalls.

The hike to the Tamushal waterfall allowed us to visit a project which is reintroducing local species into the area and which takes place 10 minutes away from the waterfall. The hike to the waterfall was 1 hour and a half at a good speed, but it can take up to 3 hours if you walk slowly. The path did not present difficulties, you only have to be careful when you cross the rivers as the stones might be a bit slippery.

Our guide, suggested by the tourism agency of the municipality, was Feliciano, who is a member of the “Asociación de Protección Flora y Fauna”, a non-profit association which campaigns for the preservation of the local flaura and fauna and promotes ecotourism. During the hike, Feliciano talked to us about the environmental problems affecting the region and the work of his association. The association's e-mail is asociacionpff@hotmail.com.

As for the project reintroducing animals into the area, we were introduced to Orlando, who is in charge of taking care of the wild animals in their adaptation phase. Every morning around 7 “sajnos” (I'm not sure about the English translation-they are a kind of wild pigs), which are now living in freedom in the forest as a result of the project, come close to his house to receive their little treat of the day (some rice with corn – this is not their main food as they get it independently). It is usually impossible to see “sajnos” living in freedom, because they tend to hide, but thanks to Orlando's amazing relationship with animals, it was possible for us to be so close to them. Orlando also introduced us to a couple of monkeys who were in the adaptation phase. He then talked to us about the project and his experience with the animals, which was very interesting. His non-profit association is CERELIAS, Rescue Center for Endangered Amazonian Animals. The website is http://cereliasenglish.blogspot.com.

We then walked 10 further minutes up to the waterfalls, one is called “Tamushal”, the other one “Vestido de la Novia” where we could swim and rest. We were the only ones there. We then had lunch and hiked back for another hour and a half. It was a great route and it was so interesting to talk to Feliciano and Orlando about the flora and fauna of the selva. We definitely recommend this hike! If you have time, it is also possible to do the “two days plus one night” trekking, which allows to see you more waterfalls.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb