Background: Prior to the coming of the Spanish in the 16th century, northern Chile was under Inca rule while Araucanian Indians inhabited central and southern Chile; the latter were not completely subjugated until the early 1880s. Although Chile declared its independence in 1810, decisive victory over the Spanish was not achieved until 1818. In the War of the Pacific (1879-84), Chile defeated Peru and Bolivia and won its present northern lands. A three-year-old Marxist government of Salvador ALLENDE was overthrown in 1973 by a dictatorial military regime led by Augusto PINOCHET, who ruled until a freely elected president was installed in 1990. Sound economic policies, maintained consistently since the 1980s, have contributed to steady growth and have helped secure the country's commitment to democratic and representative government. Chile has increasingly assumed regional and international leadership roles befitting its status as a stable, democratic nation.
Blogs from Villarrica
Latest Blogs from Villarrica
- December 25th 2012 Day 2
by Words: 330 Photos: 0
- December 24th 2012 Day 1
by Words: 359 Photos: 0
- May 19th 2012 18/03/2012 Cabañas El Real
by Words: 1066 Photos: 0
- January 6th 2010 Entre Pichilemu..SantiagO-Villarica-PucOn-Concepcion d'où je vous écris..*
by Words: 1516 Photos: 61
- December 12th 2009 Villa Rica
by Words: 167 Photos: 7
- November 21st 2009 La Isla Millawapi
by Words: 642 Photos: 30
- February 13th 2009 Wrap up warm we´re going south!
by Words: 2522 Photos: 50
- October 14th 2008 The one in the middle
by Words: 770 Photos: 10
- February 23rd 2008 Inside the Volcano
by Words: 42 Photos: 7
- January 8th 2008 Vulkanbesteigung
by Words: 633 Photos: 12
- January 3rd 2008 The Chilean Lake District
by Words: 968 Photos: 12
- October 16th 2007 Villarica
by Words: 752 Photos: 0
- February 11th 2007 First week.....well 10 days
by Words: 494 Photos: 4
- February 1st 2007 Villarrica - Volcanoes and Thermal Baths!
by Words: 282 Photos: 5
- November 2nd 2006 Volcanos and Prehistoric Trees
by Words: 2591 Photos: 13
- April 10th 2006 The Volcano, the Salmon and the Casino...
by Words: 755 Photos: 6
- March 6th 2006 Back to school
by Words: 731 Photos: 7
- November 14th 2005 A Ripio we will go!!!
by Words: 566 Photos: 9
- November 13th 2005 Just head South ...
by Words: 737 Photos: 7
- November 12th 2005 I´m not going anywhere today!!
by Words: 651 Photos: 3