Background: Following three centuries under the rule of Portugal, Brazil became an independent nation in 1822. By far the largest and most populous country in South America, Brazil overcame more than half a century of military intervention in the governance of the country when in 1985 the military regime peacefully ceded power to civilian rulers. Brazil continues to pursue industrial and agricultural growth and development of its interior. Exploiting vast natural resources and a large labor pool, it is today South America's leading economic power and a regional leader. Highly unequal income distribution remains a pressing problem.
Photos from Alagoas
Blogs from Alagoas
Latest Blogs from Alagoas
- February 22nd 2013 Venturing Beyond Maceio: Foz do São Francisco e Piaçabuçú
by Words: 390 Photos: 17
- October 30th 2012 Where the sea is blue...And the beer is cold...
by Words: 300 Photos: 35
- June 14th 2012 June 14, 2012, One Year Anniversary
by Words: 1183 Photos: 8
- July 19th 2011 MACEIO: Tropical Paradise even in Winter Time
by Words: 1114 Photos: 72
- February 21st 2011 Brazylijskie wybrzeze / Brasilian Coast
by Words: 641 Photos: 39
- October 12th 2009 Idas a Maceio
by Words: 609 Photos: 44
- July 1st 2009 Maceio and Aracaju....
by Words: 1760 Photos: 34
- March 18th 2009 Macieo-- beaches, beaches, beaches!!!!
by Words: 2366 Photos: 15
- November 2nd 2008 The All Night Bus...
by Words: 451 Photos: 0
- July 1st 2008 Solar Powered Watermelons
by Words: 2271 Photos: 12
- July 1st 2008 Yes Virginia, there ARE two Jesus' in Brasil!
by Words: 795 Photos: 5
- June 30th 2008 Visit to Instituto Eco-Engenho and Baixas
by Words: 3029 Photos: 11
- June 29th 2008 Arriving in Macieó
by Words: 521 Photos: 5
- June 3rd 2008 Maceio and Recife
by Words: 304 Photos: 0
- February 14th 2008 Rest and Recuperation in Maceió
by Words: 458 Photos: 18
- January 7th 2008 Beach Utlimate Worlds
by Words: 682 Photos: 10
- January 6th 2008 Day 1
by Words: 667 Photos: 7
- January 5th 2008 Day 2
by Words: 394 Photos: 12
- January 4th 2008 Day 3
by Words: 179 Photos: 9
- January 3rd 2008 Day 4
by Words: 641 Photos: 8