Background: Bolivia, named after independence fighter Simon BOLIVAR, broke away from Spanish rule in 1825; much of its subsequent history has consisted of a series of nearly 200 coups and counter-coups. Comparatively democratic civilian rule was established in 1982, but leaders have faced difficult problems of deep-seated poverty, social unrest, and illegal drug production. Current goals include attracting foreign investment, strengthening the educational system, resolving disputes with coca growers over Bolivia's counterdrug efforts, and waging an anticorruption campaign.
Photos from Bolivia
Blogs from Bolivia
Latest Blogs from Bolivia
- December 2nd 2013 Salar de Uyuni Salt Flats, Bolivia
by Words: 605 Photos: 23
- November 20th 2013 Bolivia!
by Words: 678 Photos: 25
- November 19th 2013 PUNO, PERU TO LA PAZ, BOLIVIA - DAYS 11 & 12
by Words: 777 Photos: 18
- November 11th 2013 La Paz and Farewell Fabulous Bolivia
by Words: 1474 Photos: 42
- November 6th 2013 Sucre and the Living Is Easy...
by Words: 1293 Photos: 63
- November 3rd 2013 A Door to the Devil, Rocky Towers and Open Plains
by Words: 1890 Photos: 17
- October 30th 2013 Potosi--Wild Colors and Faded Glory
by Words: 1844 Photos: 52
- October 25th 2013 Bolivia
by Words: 325 Photos: 68
- October 22nd 2013 Tupiza and Red Rock Canyons
by Words: 1382 Photos: 35
- October 17th 2013 Salar de Uyuni--Otherwordly Adventure
by Words: 1881 Photos: 41
- October 13th 2013 Leaving Bolivia, Back to Peru!
by Words: 452 Photos: 7
- October 12th 2013 Sud Lipez - Salar de Uyuni
by Words: 810 Photos: 116
- October 11th 2013 Copacabana--Playing and Praying
by Words: 1089 Photos: 21
- October 10th 2013 Isla del Sol--The Womb of the World
by Words: 958 Photos: 41
- October 9th 2013 Tupiza - Sud Lipez
by Words: 561 Photos: 112
- October 5th 2013 Horrendous bus journey and a Pampas trip!!
by Words: 2397 Photos: 0
- October 4th 2013 Salar de Uyuni journey!!
by Words: 2136 Photos: 11
- October 1st 2013 Tarija
by Words: 442 Photos: 27
- September 29th 2013 From Puno to Copacabana to La Paz...
by Words: 1177 Photos: 0
- September 28th 2013 Salt flats and La Paz!!
by Words: 1958 Photos: 12