Background: Bolivia, named after independence fighter Simon BOLIVAR, broke away from Spanish rule in 1825; much of its subsequent history has consisted of a series of nearly 200 coups and counter-coups. Comparatively democratic civilian rule was established in 1982, but leaders have faced difficult problems of deep-seated poverty, social unrest, and illegal drug production. Current goals include attracting foreign investment, strengthening the educational system, resolving disputes with coca growers over Bolivia's counterdrug efforts, and waging an anticorruption campaign.
Photos from Bolivia
Blogs from Bolivia
Latest Blogs from Bolivia
- March 9th 2014 Hogar Guadalupe, Sucre
by Words: 564 Photos: 21
- March 8th 2014 The Amazon
by Words: 1088 Photos: 20
- March 8th 2014 Hiking Sun Island
by Words: 1559 Photos: 31
- March 6th 2014 Oh Mr. Altitude, Why Do You Do This?
by Words: 955 Photos: 12
- March 6th 2014 There Was Blood and a Single Gun Shot! But Just Who Shot Who?!
by Words: 987 Photos: 24
- March 4th 2014 The Good, the Bad and the Ugly of Traveling
by Words: 817 Photos: 5
- February 27th 2014 Spanish And Sucre.
by Words: 624 Photos: 10
- February 17th 2014 Carnaval
by Words: 188 Photos: 18
- February 17th 2014 Bolivia-Uyuni Salt Flats
by Words: 280 Photos: 24
- February 16th 2014 San Pedro to Uyuni; Salt In Sight
by Words: 1244 Photos: 45
- February 16th 2014 El cementerio el dmingo
by Words: 195 Photos: 15
- February 16th 2014 Une maison traditionnelle
by Words: 171 Photos: 8
- February 15th 2014 Bolivia-Lake Titicaca
by Words: 206 Photos: 22
- February 12th 2014 Plaza 25 de Mayo.
by Words: 194 Photos: 12
- February 11th 2014 Christmas and New Year...South American style
by Words: 814 Photos: 6
- February 7th 2014 El Villar
by Words: 566 Photos: 16
- February 1st 2014 Llama comme souper?
by Words: 283 Photos: 11
- January 30th 2014 Coca tea anyone?
by Words: 279 Photos: 2
- January 30th 2014 Fiesta dans la rue
by Words: 251 Photos: 4
- January 29th 2014 Une soirée en Bolivie
by Words: 618 Photos: 8