Background: The Polynesian Maori reached New Zealand in about A.D. 800. In 1840, their chieftains entered into a compact with Britain, the Treaty of Waitangi, in which they ceded sovereignty to Queen Victoria while retaining territorial rights. In that same year, the British began the first organized colonial settlement. A series of land wars between 1843 and 1872 ended with the defeat of the native peoples. The British colony of New Zealand became an independent dominion in 1907 and supported the UK militarily in both World Wars. New Zealand's full participation in a number of defense alliances lapsed by the 1980s. In recent years, the government has sought to address longstanding Maori grievances.
Blogs from Invercargill
Latest Blogs from Invercargill
- May 6th 2010 Deep South
by Words: 909 Photos: 15
- May 5th 2010 Pining for the Fiords?
by Words: 672 Photos: 9
- November 9th 2008 The Grass Really is Greener
by Words: 1443 Photos: 12
- February 14th 2007 Cruising Around Southland
by Words: 732 Photos: 6
- January 18th 2007 אינברקרגיל - אנחנו אוהבים אותך!!!
by Words: 1 Photos: 6
- January 11th 2007 Holiday Update
by Words: 1267 Photos: 10
- December 3rd 2006 Counting down to departure
by Words: 579 Photos: 0
- October 27th 2006 Arsehole of the world
by Words: 97 Photos: 5
- August 24th 2006 Out of queenstown and to Invercargill
by Words: 549 Photos: 23
- July 20th 2006 Invercargill and the Catlins
by Words: 1460 Photos: 19
- July 12th 2006 Bottom of the World
by Words: 852 Photos: 8
- March 26th 2006 Super Super 14 rugby
by Words: 363 Photos: 10
- March 26th 2006 The Kiwi's will signpost anything as a view!!
by Words: 538 Photos: 0
- March 2nd 2006 Invercargill
by Words: 226 Photos: 16
- February 19th 2006 Surfing and Kayaking with Dolphins, Sheep Shearing and the Final Breakdown
by Words: 1521 Photos: 15
- December 8th 2005 Invercargil and Te Anau
by Words: 72 Photos: 1
- October 24th 2005 One to another - or "Goodbye Oz, Hello EnZed!"
by Words: 2883 Photos: 10
- June 15th 2005 As far south as we go
by Words: 473 Photos: 8
- January 9th 2003 Invercargil
by Words: 386 Photos: 3