Southland Experience - Day 3


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Southland » Invercargill
June 4th 2016
Published: June 7th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Today is our first full touristy day and we're off to a pretty good start - there's a strange yellow thing in the sky and it's surrounded by patches of blue - a sunny(ish) day in Southland, our first!

We had breakfast and then headed around to pick up our loan car, The Southland Times have generously allowed us to borrow a vehicle for the next few days which was fantastic of them. Our first trip was a pleasant 20 minute drive to Bluff. Our first stop was up Bluff Hill to the lookout, it offered incredible views across Foveaux Strait and the surrounding area. We were lucky with the weather and the view included Stewart Island - exciting!

Home of the famous Bluff Oyster, and a not quite so famous (but still very well known) signpost located at Stirling Point, the very start/end of Sate Highway 1 which runs the length of New Zealand. The sign post highlights the distance to many of the worlds famous cities and a 'selfie' photo is a Bluff must do. We ticked that one off early and then wandered around the coastal trail to Lookout Point - the coastline was rugged and
Bluff SculputureBluff SculputureBluff Sculputure

Really cool chain link sculpture at Stirling Point.
untamed and there were spectacular views around every corner. The Lookout itself features the Foveaux Memorial - a memorial stone to a light plane that went down in the Strait with the loss of five lives.

The walk was a very easy one in terms of the terrain and it followed the shoreline so brilliant views were assured. It was definitely worth the 40 minute or so stroll to Lookout Point.

When we got back to Stirling Point is was lunch time so we walked the short distance up to Oyster Cove restaurant, stationed on an elevated site overlooking the surrounding area. The building featured ceiling to floor windows along the facade so without question it provided a meal with absolutely stunning views thrown in! After entree's we shared a seafood basket - it just seamed the right thing to do! Looking out over the southern ocean eating Blue Cod, Mussels, Scallops and yes Oysters was pretty cool! It was our first taste of oysters (all be it cooked and not raw) and we were very impressed, maybe next time I'll take the plunge and tackle a raw one!

It had been a wonderful few hours but
Oyster Cove LunchOyster Cove LunchOyster Cove Lunch

Delicious lunch with an even better view!
it was now time to head back to base and prepare for the NBL Grand Final. Super excited but also slightly nervous!

NBL FINAL

Nothing would be able to match the atmosphere of last nights Saints v Sharks semi, but it was heartening to see another big crowd turn up. Massive credit to Southlanders for embracing the Final 4 on their home patch. My predictions were right, apart from the guy sitting next to me (annoying little bloke he was) the whole of the local audience got behind the Saints. There were plenty of reasons, the ones I've mentioned previously, a hard fought match up between Sharks and Rangers the week before where a Rangers player was ejected from the game and very questionable (read dirty) tactics were employed by the boys from the big smoke. Kevin Brasswell the new Saints coach is a Southland basketball legend etc. Plus in my experience there's always been a healthy respect between teams from the capital and teams from the deep south.

The game was pretty one sided as finals go, the Saints were out of the blocks faster that a rat up a drainpipe! Lead by an inspiration spell
Saints Champions!Saints Champions!Saints Champions!

The traditional cutting of the basket, BJ Anthony takes his turn as the Saints celebrate another title!
from Leon Henry they raced to a 16-2 lead. The boys in blue were never seriously threatened for the remainder of the contest and with a combination of hard graft and skill notched up their 9th NBL title. Go you good things!

We briefly went to the Lone Star pub, home of the official after match and caught up with a few supporters we knew from home. In the end the extremely loud doff, doff music put us off and we headed down to Speights for our own quiet celebration (must be getting old!).

Tomorrow is off to do Round the Mountains - the Pub Crawl not the bike ride (just in case there was any doubt).


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Bluff CoastlineBluff Coastline
Bluff Coastline

Just one example of the spectacular Bluff coastline.
Foveaux MemorialFoveaux Memorial
Foveaux Memorial

Memorial to the 5 people who lost their lives when a light plane went down in Foveaux Strait
Foveaux Memorial Foveaux Memorial
Foveaux Memorial

Jeanette taking in the views from Lookout Point
Bluff Walkway Sign PostBluff Walkway Sign Post
Bluff Walkway Sign Post

The leisurely walk from Stirling Point to Lookout Point is well worth the effort.
Bluff Info BoardBluff Info Board
Bluff Info Board

There were plenty of simple but informative sign boards to explain local history and sites of significance.
Oyster Cove - A Beer with a viewOyster Cove - A Beer with a view
Oyster Cove - A Beer with a view

Enjoying an Invecargill Brewery Wasp Lager beer - perfect setting for one I'd say!


Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1659s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb