Background: The Polynesian Maori reached New Zealand in about A.D. 800. In 1840, their chieftains entered into a compact with Britain, the Treaty of Waitangi, in which they ceded sovereignty to Queen Victoria while retaining territorial rights. In that same year, the British began the first organized colonial settlement. A series of land wars between 1843 and 1872 ended with the defeat of the native peoples. The British colony of New Zealand became an independent dominion in 1907 and supported the UK militarily in both World Wars. New Zealand's full participation in a number of defense alliances lapsed by the 1980s. In recent years, the government has sought to address longstanding Maori grievances.
Photos from Palmerston North
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Palmerston North
Latest Blogs from Palmerston North
- July 7th 2010 INTRO
by Words: 93 Photos: 0
- January 5th 2010 Theres no place like home.
by Words: 2227 Photos: 14
- December 22nd 2009 Pre-BC
by Words: 117 Photos: 0
- September 2nd 2009 Can't go to sleeeeeeeeppppp
by Words: 65 Photos: 0
- August 30th 2009 The time is near
by Words: 98 Photos: 0
- August 25th 2009 9 Sleeps To Go.................
by Words: 20 Photos: 0
- August 17th 2009 16 more Sleeps
by Words: 18 Photos: 0
- December 23rd 2007 Vague Itinerary
by Words: 147 Photos: 0
- December 18th 2007 You are invited...
by Words: 42 Photos: 0
- December 16th 2007 Testing the Blog
by Words: 36 Photos: 0
- April 24th 2007 Old times
by Words: 128 Photos: 3
- March 4th 2007 Ausritt auf unseren Bikes!
by Words: 115 Photos: 9
- February 25th 2007 Ein kleiner Ausflug!
by Words: 108 Photos: 7
- February 7th 2007 Der Abschied
by Words: 84 Photos: 1
- August 20th 2006 Rugby, rugby, and Manawatu
by Words: 545 Photos: 11
- July 21st 2006 Flying foxes and broken post boxes...
by Words: 514 Photos: 3