Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Geelong
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Geelong
Latest Blogs from Geelong
- April 22nd 2013 Halfway there!
by Words: 872 Photos: 0
- April 10th 2013 Und gleich noch ein Blog ...
by Words: 233 Photos: 0
- March 27th 2013 Tetris!
by Words: 481 Photos: 22
- March 24th 2013 Yesterday I saw my first kangaroo and today I ate my first kangaroo
by Words: 604 Photos: 170
- March 20th 2013 Kcaf, cold rock, and giving of the shirts!
by Words: 1180 Photos: 0
- March 13th 2013 First day of classes and Happies!
by Words: 750 Photos: 0
- March 12th 2013 A recap
by Words: 368 Photos: 0
- March 7th 2013 I am so bad at this!!!
by Words: 1073 Photos: 0
- February 24th 2013 Geelong Waterfront Frolics
by Words: 292 Photos: 0
- February 23rd 2013 Pako Festival
by Words: 229 Photos: 0
- February 22nd 2013 4 down, 3 to go!
by Words: 684 Photos: 0
- September 4th 2012 Endings, beginnings, and life goes on.
by Words: 935 Photos: 0
- July 21st 2012 Mapping out the Journey.
by Words: 20 Photos: 0
- April 24th 2012 Nanjing week
by Words: 356 Photos: 0
- April 20th 2012 Heavy philosophical concepts - I'll get over it soon!
by Words: 414 Photos: 0
- April 13th 2012 Out of touch
by Words: 189 Photos: 0
- April 10th 2012 Disorganised
by Words: 452 Photos: 1
- April 9th 2012 Pre-departure
by Words: 165 Photos: 0
- March 31st 2012 Flights are booked!
by Words: 155 Photos: 3
- March 27th 2012 Awaiting Departure Details/Avoiding Packing
by Words: 256 Photos: 0