Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Bairnsdale
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Bairnsdale
Latest Blogs from Bairnsdale
- January 5th 2013 7mo dia - papa km a viagem interminavel
by Words: 75 Photos: 0
- May 25th 2012 Ebbage Family Australia Trip 2012 - Melbourne to Lindenow
by Words: 611 Photos: 1
- March 3rd 2012 Pears, Lemons, Oettinger and Damn fine company.
by Words: 1339 Photos: 0
- February 23rd 2012 Bairnsdale, Paynesville & Raymond Island
by Words: 342 Photos: 5
- February 20th 2012 Lakes Entrance and Bairnsdale
by Words: 397 Photos: 10
- February 11th 2009 Melbourne to Bairnsdale - Black Saturday
by Words: 1101 Photos: 0
- April 17th 2008 Journey towards Melbourne
by Words: 450 Photos: 6
- June 12th 2007 Friends from New Plymouth
by Words: 92 Photos: 2
- December 3rd 2006 Home for a quickie
by Words: 280 Photos: 8
- October 14th 2006 Welcome to Smalltown Ozzycana.
by Words: 396 Photos: 4
- February 10th 2006 Paa vej i syd
by Words: 85 Photos: 6
- February 8th 2006 Planning, planning, planning, rawhide!!!!
by Words: 104 Photos: 1