Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Bondi Beach
Blogs from Bondi Beach
Latest Blogs from Bondi Beach
- June 14th 2013 Australia to grow up (or how my life began for serious)
by Words: 290 Photos: 4
- June 8th 2013 Bondi Beach to Coogee
by Words: 210 Photos: 0
- February 4th 2013 Sydney, Bondi and the Blue Mountains
by Words: 493 Photos: 14
- December 25th 2012 Merry Christmas!
by Words: 64 Photos: 1
- December 19th 2012 Australia
by Words: 427 Photos: 10
- November 16th 2012 Bondi Beach & Manly, Sydney, Australia
by Words: 401 Photos: 9
- September 8th 2012 Sydney to Byron Bay, Australia
by Words: 355 Photos: 0
- August 18th 2012 Sydney 2012
by Words: 1352 Photos: 10
- August 17th 2012 Sydney
by Words: 1903 Photos: 34
- April 30th 2012 Update Time....
by Words: 376 Photos: 21
- March 23rd 2012 Day 9 - Bondi Beach & Bondi Shopping
by Words: 283 Photos: 2
- March 3rd 2012 I don't know what we would have done without you...
by Words: 372 Photos: 2
- February 8th 2012 A Blonde, A Welshman and a Car Called Babs...
by Words: 589 Photos: 3
- February 6th 2012 Sydney: A Break at Last!
by Words: 477 Photos: 55
- January 11th 2012 And so the end of a fab few weeks in Sydney
by Words: 474 Photos: 0
- January 10th 2012 Dad's Bucket List
by Words: 517 Photos: 0
- January 9th 2012 As Mr T would say....Paaaaaaiiiiiin!
by Words: 1024 Photos: 0
- January 1st 2012 Nytt ar
by Words: 335 Photos: 0
- January 1st 2012 Bondi Christmas and New Year Fireworks!
by Words: 1589 Photos: 58
- December 25th 2011 Christmas at Bondi
by Words: 1223 Photos: 0