Background: The site of advanced Amerindian civilizations, Mexico came under Spanish rule for three centuries before achieving independence early in the 19th century. A devaluation of the peso in late 1994 threw Mexico into economic turmoil, triggering the worst recession in over half a century. The nation continues to make an impressive recovery. Ongoing economic and social concerns include low real wages, underemployment for a large segment of the population, inequitable income distribution, and few advancement opportunities for the largely Amerindian population in the impoverished southern states. Elections held in July 2000 marked the first time since the 1910 Mexican Revolution that the opposition defeated the party in government, the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI). Vicente FOX of the National Action Party (PAN) was sworn in on 1 December 2000 as the first chief executive elected in free and fair elections.
Photos from Guadalajara
Blogs from Guadalajara
Latest Blogs from Guadalajara
- February 11th 2014 One of those "bad" Mexican days....which ended rather well...
by Words: 358 Photos: 10
- February 8th 2014 So many things for sale....so little to buy...
by Words: 356 Photos: 27
- February 7th 2014 Jogging...
by Words: 289 Photos: 10
- February 6th 2014 The $3.50 lunch....
by Words: 427 Photos: 12
- February 5th 2014 Waking to warm scented breezes and birdsong....
by Words: 340 Photos: 15
- February 3rd 2014 Thursday January 30, Guadalajara Zoo
by Words: 700 Photos: 15
- March 7th 2013 2013, Unlucky for some... but not for US!
by Words: 806 Photos: 0
- February 8th 2013 In the land of tequila and mariachi
by Words: 1003 Photos: 6
- September 24th 2012 Start der grossen Reise - 3 Wochen Guadalajara
by Words: 1175 Photos: 12
- March 17th 2012 RVing in Mexico with Raymondo y Marsia
by Words: 952 Photos: 33
- January 11th 2012 Tequila town
by Words: 508 Photos: 14
- July 21st 2011 Mexico - Guadalajara
by Words: 1054 Photos: 0
- July 8th 2011 Rio Caliente Spa, Primavera, Mexico Jalisco Province
by Words: 2152 Photos: 99
- June 30th 2011 Rule one, Don't forget your camera!
by Words: 245 Photos: 4
- June 16th 2011 Guadalajara
by Words: 445 Photos: 20
- May 24th 2011 Catching up!
by Words: 7601 Photos: 0
- May 10th 2011 Our First Steps in Mexico
by Words: 433 Photos: 7
- April 16th 2011 Bye Bye Camera :'(
by Words: 2506 Photos: 0
- April 10th 2011 1. A tourist in my own country
by Words: 267 Photos: 0
- April 7th 2011 Where There Are Tacos There Are...Cops?
by Words: 679 Photos: 1