Pyramids of Guachimontones


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Jalisco » Guadalajara
July 12th 2019
Published: July 12th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Teuchitlan is the tiny pueblo that is the home of Guachimontones (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guachimontones), an important archaeological site in the Mexican state of Jalisco, near Guadalajara. Click for MAP. You may have seen my posts about the VOLADORES. Well, this is where they originated. There are a bunch of photos, so check them all out. Click on the links and read.

Interesting things to know: If you are over 60, admission is free (likewise for kids and people with disabilities. They will ask you if you are able to walk 450 meters. SAY NO! (unless you are a healthy youngster with lots of energy. What they don't tell you is that 450 meters is like straight up. Not really, but that was the LONGEST, STEEPEST 450 meters I have ever walked. They will let you drive up if you are an olde phart like us.

The interpretive center on the right as you enter may look deserted, but there are probably a bunch of people in there. Worth the visit. You can see where the people lived, where the handball courts were (if you lost, you died), and where the pyramids and temples were/are.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Up the HillUp the Hill
Up the Hill

I actually needed to lean on this sign. The climb to the top was a bear.
One of the Handball Game CourtsOne of the Handball Game Courts
One of the Handball Game Courts

If you lost, you might lose something else...Your life.


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb