Background: Following World War II, the British withdrew from their mandate of Palestine, and the UN partitioned the area into Arab and Jewish states, an arrangement rejected by the Arabs. Subsequently, the Israelis defeated the Arabs in a series of wars without ending the deep tensions between the two sides. The territories occupied by Israel since the 1967 war are not included in the Israel country profile, unless otherwise noted. On 25 April 1982, Israel withdrew from the Sinai pursuant to the 1979 Israel-Egypt Peace Treaty. Israel and Palestinian officials signed on 13 September 1993 a Declaration of Principles (also known as the "Oslo accords") guiding an interim period of Palestinian self-rule. Outstanding territorial and other disputes with Jordan were resolved in the 26 October 1994 Israel-Jordan Treaty of Peace. In addition, on 25 May 2000, Israel withdrew unilaterally from southern Lebanon, which it had occupied since 1982. In keeping with the framework established at the Madrid Conference in October 1991, bilateral negotiations were conducted between Israel and Palestinian representatives and Syria to achieve a permanent settlement. On 24 June 2002, US President BUSH laid out a "road map" for resolving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, which envisions a two-state solution. However, progress toward a permanent status agreement has been undermined by Palestinian-Israeli violence ongoing since September 2000. The conflict may have reached a turning point with the election in January 2005 of Mahmud ABBAS as the new Palestinian leader following the November 2004 death of Yasir ARAFAT.
Photos from Israel
Blogs from Israel
Latest Blogs from Israel
- November 26th 2013 Part Two: Chabad Spiritual Home for English Speakers in Haifa Israel.
by Words: 1187 Photos: 0
- November 18th 2013 Medīnat Yisrā'el part 2 of 2: Jerusalem, Nazareth/Galilea and area
by Words: 1538 Photos: 55
- November 14th 2013 Medīnat Yisrā'el part 1 of 2: Tel Aviv, Dead Sea, Masada & more.
by Words: 1816 Photos: 50
- November 8th 2013 Prophets of Peace: The Muslim Ahmadiyya in Haifa Israel.
by Words: 899 Photos: 0
- November 6th 2013 Haifa Israel is The City of Peaceful Coexistence
by Words: 1409 Photos: 0
- November 5th 2013 Generations of Students in Haifa Israel.
by Words: 1267 Photos: 0
- October 30th 2013 To Eilat, Petra and back in 48 hours
by Words: 1520 Photos: 5
- October 28th 2013 Shalom!
by Words: 91 Photos: 4
- October 27th 2013 Kiryat Chaim, Kiryat Ata, Kirya Motzki (Learning the routes....)
by Words: 1036 Photos: 5
- October 23rd 2013 A walk through Jeruslaem to the nightlight in Israel; Rhianna.
by Words: 1377 Photos: 6
- October 20th 2013 Hebrew, English....Englew
by Words: 660 Photos: 2
- October 18th 2013 A Friday Sabbat Beach Run
by Words: 1101 Photos: 4
- October 17th 2013 Beteavon (Good eating)
by Words: 1148 Photos: 0
- October 14th 2013 An [extened] weekend in the North
by Words: 814 Photos: 4
- October 11th 2013 MASADA, JERICHO AND JORDAN - DAY 9
by Words: 347 Photos: 14
- October 10th 2013 BETHLEHEM AND THE ISRAEL MUSEUM - DAY 8
by Words: 581 Photos: 22
- October 10th 2013 Ein Gedi and Dead Sea....A day I've been waiting for!
by Words: 1146 Photos: 5
- October 9th 2013 OLD CITY JERUSALEM, TEMPLE MOUNT, CHURCH OF THE HOLY SEPULCHER - DAY 7
by Words: 573 Photos: 23
- October 8th 2013 OLD CITY JERUSALEM - DAY 6
by Words: 457 Photos: 22
- October 8th 2013 Russians, French, and an American beach bum
by Words: 393 Photos: 1