Background: Following World War II, the British withdrew from their mandate of Palestine, and the UN partitioned the area into Arab and Jewish states, an arrangement rejected by the Arabs. Subsequently, the Israelis defeated the Arabs in a series of wars without ending the deep tensions between the two sides. The territories occupied by Israel since the 1967 war are not included in the Israel country profile, unless otherwise noted. On 25 April 1982, Israel withdrew from the Sinai pursuant to the 1979 Israel-Egypt Peace Treaty. Israel and Palestinian officials signed on 13 September 1993 a Declaration of Principles (also known as the "Oslo accords") guiding an interim period of Palestinian self-rule. Outstanding territorial and other disputes with Jordan were resolved in the 26 October 1994 Israel-Jordan Treaty of Peace. In addition, on 25 May 2000, Israel withdrew unilaterally from southern Lebanon, which it had occupied since 1982. In keeping with the framework established at the Madrid Conference in October 1991, bilateral negotiations were conducted between Israel and Palestinian representatives and Syria to achieve a permanent settlement. On 24 June 2002, US President BUSH laid out a "road map" for resolving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, which envisions a two-state solution. However, progress toward a permanent status agreement has been undermined by Palestinian-Israeli violence ongoing since September 2000. The conflict may have reached a turning point with the election in January 2005 of Mahmud ABBAS as the new Palestinian leader following the November 2004 death of Yasir ARAFAT.
Blogs from Center District
Latest Blogs from Center District
- May 24th 2012 exploring the Shephelah of Israel
by Words: 636 Photos: 9
- October 1st 2010 Summary?
by Words: 799 Photos: 1
- August 27th 2010 Greetings to all
by Words: 71 Photos: 0
- August 22nd 2010 Caesarea: Not just any Archeological site- the off the beaten trail tour
by Words: 692 Photos: 1
- April 9th 2010 One More
by Words: 21 Photos: 0
- March 21st 2010 Time out
by Words: 262 Photos: 0
- January 16th 2010 Friday - time to go home
by Words: 344 Photos: 4
- March 31st 2009 End of Rehovot
by Words: 258 Photos: 0
- February 12th 2009 Blind Museam and Marls and Ants son yonas Bar Mitzvah
by Words: 373 Photos: 0
- January 4th 2009 Partnership 2000
by Words: 1137 Photos: 25
- October 15th 2008 Another Photo Album
by Words: 25 Photos: 0
- July 1st 2008 Israel and Hezbollah Prisoner Swap
by Words: 947 Photos: 5
- June 26th 2008 Meir Hospital Rules...and Kids Are Evil.
by Words: 659 Photos: 3
- May 4th 2008 Pimpin' Ain't Easy
by Words: 617 Photos: 6
- April 13th 2008 Clearly..waiting is not a word in Hebrew.
by Words: 752 Photos: 5
- March 25th 2008 Apparently I'm Arab now.
by Words: 86 Photos: 3
- March 16th 2008 Home is where the eel is
by Words: 978 Photos: 7
- December 13th 2007 Why don't we all just have a big group hug??
by Words: 1410 Photos: 7
- June 28th 2007 He Was a Day Tripper
by Words: 343 Photos: 10
- June 12th 2007 The Diaspora Museum and Men in Speedos
by Words: 786 Photos: 7