Israël and Egypt 2012


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Center District
May 4th 2012
Published: October 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Another intensive days of visiting: Capernaum, Korazim (Chorazin), Sermon on the Mount area, Hazor, Dan, Caesarea Philippi, Golan, and a boat ride across the Sea of Galilee.

Capernaum is a city of major importance associated with the ministry of Jesus. Many miracles were performed here. The account in Luke 4:31-37 tells of how Jesus healed a demonized man. The following verses speak of his healing of Peter's mother-in-law. John 4:46-54 describes a long-distance miracle: Jesus was 26 km away, in Cana, when he cured the son of a member of the royal court of Herod Antipas.

It was near Capernaum that Jesus walked on the waters of the Sea of Galilee (Matthew 14:23-34). At a tax office in Capernaum Jesus invited Matthew to become the 5th disciple to join him. Capernaum was mentioned with Chorazin and Bethsaida as one of the places in which Jesus performed most of his miracles. It was likely on a mountain in the region of Capernaum that Jesus chose the 12 to be his apostles.

Chorazin (Korazim) was cited by Jesus in a negative light. Luke 10:10-16 tells us that the inhabitants of this city chose to ignore the many powerful works that he performed at this site.

Hazor, also known as Tel Hazor and Tell el-quedeh, was the chief city of northern Canaan at the time of Israel's conquest under Joshua. A 6-chambered gate was uncovered at Hazor, almost identical in size and design to a gate found at Megiddo. It seems likely that both were constructed by King Solomon. (1 Kings 9:15)

The modern day site of Tel Dan rests on the ruins of what is thought to have been the biblical city of Dan. Named for the tribe of Dan, which was described in the Book of Judges as the largest of the twelve Israelite tribes, the city of Dan was the northern home of ancient Israel and considered a major center for trade and business. Tel Dan was historically named Leshem or Laish, before receiving the name Dan after being settled by the Israelites. During the eleventh century B.C.E. Leshem was conquered by the Israelites and the city’s name was changed to Dan. The Dan River is one of four tributaries that drain into the Jordan River, its source being Mount Hermon. (Psaumes 133:3)

Caesarea Philippi, or Caesarea Paneas, was an ancient Roman city located at the southwestern base of Mount Hermon. It contains shrines dedicated to the Greek god Pan.

The Ancient Galilee Boat was discovered in 1986 when a severe drought caused a dramatic lowering of the waters of the Sea of Galilee. Having been buried, the boat was preserved by the seabed's sediments. It is 8.2 m long, 2.3 m wide, and 1.2 m deep. The delicate excavation process took 11 days and the meticulous conservation process spanned 11 years! The boat was first submerged in a solution of polyethylene glycol, a synthetic wax which replaced the waterr in the wood cells. The hull was allowed to dry slowly and excess wax was gradually removed. Several dating criteria indicate that the boat is likely from the time of Jesus, and the size is the same as the type Jesus and his disciples would have used. One cannot say for sure...but it is possible......


Additional photos below
Photos: 184, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

May 4May 4
May 4

Field of flowers for exportation
May 4 May 4
May 4

Among the most advanced irrigation systems in the world are found here


Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0603s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb