Background: Following World War II, the British withdrew from their mandate of Palestine, and the UN partitioned the area into Arab and Jewish states, an arrangement rejected by the Arabs. Subsequently, the Israelis defeated the Arabs in a series of wars without ending the deep tensions between the two sides. The territories occupied by Israel since the 1967 war are not included in the Israel country profile, unless otherwise noted. On 25 April 1982, Israel withdrew from the Sinai pursuant to the 1979 Israel-Egypt Peace Treaty. Israel and Palestinian officials signed on 13 September 1993 a Declaration of Principles (also known as the "Oslo accords") guiding an interim period of Palestinian self-rule. Outstanding territorial and other disputes with Jordan were resolved in the 26 October 1994 Israel-Jordan Treaty of Peace. In addition, on 25 May 2000, Israel withdrew unilaterally from southern Lebanon, which it had occupied since 1982. In keeping with the framework established at the Madrid Conference in October 1991, bilateral negotiations were conducted between Israel and Palestinian representatives and Syria to achieve a permanent settlement. On 24 June 2002, US President BUSH laid out a "road map" for resolving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, which envisions a two-state solution. However, progress toward a permanent status agreement has been undermined by Palestinian-Israeli violence ongoing since September 2000. The conflict may have reached a turning point with the election in January 2005 of Mahmud ABBAS as the new Palestinian leader following the November 2004 death of Yasir ARAFAT.
Blogs from Haifa District
Latest Blogs from Haifa District
- November 26th 2013 Part Two: Chabad Spiritual Home for English Speakers in Haifa Israel.
by Words: 1187 Photos: 0
- November 8th 2013 Prophets of Peace: The Muslim Ahmadiyya in Haifa Israel.
by Words: 899 Photos: 0
- November 6th 2013 Haifa Israel is The City of Peaceful Coexistence
by Words: 1409 Photos: 0
- November 5th 2013 Generations of Students in Haifa Israel.
by Words: 1267 Photos: 0
- October 28th 2013 Shalom!
by Words: 91 Photos: 4
- October 7th 2013 AKKO AND JERUSALEM DAY 5 WITH PHOTOS
by Words: 462 Photos: 23
- October 6th 2013 SEA OF GALILEE AND NAZARETH - DAY 4
by Words: 438 Photos: 22
- October 5th 2013 CAESAREA TO HAIFA, ISRAEL DAY 3
by Words: 463 Photos: 19
- August 19th 2013 New Hope for Peace in Israel/Palestine?
by Words: 493 Photos: 0
- August 8th 2013 Here I am Again, Alone in Haifa Israel
by Words: 576 Photos: 0
- August 8th 2013 Building a Spiritual Home for English Speakers in Haifa Israel.
by Words: 754 Photos: 0
- August 8th 2013 Alexa, The Perils of Young and Old.
by Words: 1106 Photos: 0
- July 13th 2013 Goodbye Haifa, Hello Jaffa (Yafo, Tel Aviv)
by Words: 309 Photos: 6
- October 7th 2012 Israel Day 2
by Words: 219 Photos: 2
- October 6th 2012 Israel Day 1
by Words: 166 Photos: 0
- July 3rd 2012 Of Romans, Texanians (Texans) and Latrines!
by Words: 400 Photos: 8
- May 14th 2012 Headed home
by Words: 1088 Photos: 0
- February 5th 2012 Too Much Stuff
by Words: 727 Photos: 79
- July 2nd 2011 Haifa or one of the best decisions I've made
by Words: 691 Photos: 0
- June 28th 2011 Haifa Wandering
by Words: 749 Photos: 5