Background: Great Britain, the dominant industrial and maritime power of the 19th century, played a leading role in developing parliamentary democracy and in advancing literature and science. At its zenith, the British Empire stretched over one-fourth of the earth's surface. The first half of the 20th century saw the UK's strength seriously depleted in two World Wars. The second half witnessed the dismantling of the Empire and the UK rebuilding itself into a modern and prosperous European nation. As one of five permanent members of the UN Security Council, a founding member of NATO, and of the Commonwealth, the UK pursues a global approach to foreign policy; it currently is weighing the degree of its integration with continental Europe. A member of the EU, it chose to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union for the time being. Constitutional reform is also a significant issue in the UK. The Scottish Parliament, the National Assembly for Wales, and the Northern Ireland Assembly were established in 1999, but the latter is suspended due to bickering over the peace process.
Photos from Warwick
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Warwick
Latest Blogs from Warwick
- May 2nd 2013 Broadway, Stratford on Avon, Warwick Castle
by Words: 319 Photos: 20
- April 11th 2013 Welcome to Warwick Castle !
by Words: 332 Photos: 48
- September 6th 2012 Warwick Castle!!!
by Words: 218 Photos: 14
- April 25th 2012 Warwickshire 2 - Horrible Histories and victorian postboxes
by Words: 1126 Photos: 5
- April 24th 2012 Warwickshire 1 - To go or not to go - that is the question?
by Words: 1079 Photos: 5
- April 14th 2012 Spring Canals and Castles (well one)
by Words: 295 Photos: 32
- May 6th 2010 Warwick reunion
by Words: 121 Photos: 7
- November 20th 2009 We have a new car!
by Words: 198 Photos: 3
- September 12th 2009 Leaving Liverpool
by Words: 361 Photos: 12
- August 26th 2009 The Rest of England & Wales...
by Words: 404 Photos: 61
- January 16th 2009 Soon...
by Words: 47 Photos: 0
- September 25th 2008 Cadbury's Factory and Warwick Castle
by Words: 518 Photos: 13
- September 25th 2008 Sept 21, return to London, Warwick Castle
by Words: 1263 Photos: 3
- June 7th 2008 Shakespeare & Castles
by Words: 3030 Photos: 21
- October 30th 2007 Getting ready!
by Words: 57 Photos: 0
- October 27th 2007 Castle number 3 on the grand tour..
by Words: 463 Photos: 11
- September 28th 2007 Coventry
by Words: 2 Photos: 2
- September 26th 2007 Stratford Upon Avon
by Words: 11 Photos: 11
- September 13th 2007 Day before departure - thoughts from Ian
by Words: 891 Photos: 0
- May 12th 2007 Eclectic History
by Words: 538 Photos: 0