Background: Great Britain, the dominant industrial and maritime power of the 19th century, played a leading role in developing parliamentary democracy and in advancing literature and science. At its zenith, the British Empire stretched over one-fourth of the earth's surface. The first half of the 20th century saw the UK's strength seriously depleted in two World Wars. The second half witnessed the dismantling of the Empire and the UK rebuilding itself into a modern and prosperous European nation. As one of five permanent members of the UN Security Council, a founding member of NATO, and of the Commonwealth, the UK pursues a global approach to foreign policy; it currently is weighing the degree of its integration with continental Europe. A member of the EU, it chose to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union for the time being. Constitutional reform is also a significant issue in the UK. The Scottish Parliament, the National Assembly for Wales, and the Northern Ireland Assembly were established in 1999, but the latter is suspended due to bickering over the peace process.
Blogs from Leamington Spa
Latest Blogs from Leamington Spa
- September 7th 2012 A Day Off - or a Day Shopping which ever you like!!!
by Words: 130 Photos: 10
- September 5th 2012 Shakespeare's Home!!!
by Words: 201 Photos: 12
- November 28th 2010 two days to go.....
by Words: 98 Photos: 0
- January 8th 2010 The beginning
by Words: 3 Photos: 0
- April 10th 2009 One day to go and I'm hot to trot
by Words: 609 Photos: 0
- July 6th 2008 Lonely in Leamington
by Words: 98 Photos: 21
- June 15th 2008 Packing
by Words: 14 Photos: 0
- February 2nd 2008 Leaving part No. 1!!
by Words: 114 Photos: 5
- January 16th 2008 A Warwickshire Winter
by Words: 593 Photos: 31
- January 1st 2008 Welcome!
by Words: 76 Photos: 0
- December 3rd 2007 Goin in the mornin
by Words: 12 Photos: 1
- September 13th 2007 Farewell Leamington!
by Words: 525 Photos: 1
- September 7th 2007 Today I have so much to do that I have to meditate for two hours instead of one
by Words: 626 Photos: 0
- September 1st 2007 Living life like a fairytale character
by Words: 600 Photos: 0
- August 25th 2007 He who danced to the sound of a drum wearing the garland of the great serpent on his neck
by Words: 327 Photos: 1
- August 21st 2007 Letting go pt 2
by Words: 370 Photos: 0
- August 17th 2007 Honouring uncertainty
by Words: 785 Photos: 0
- August 16th 2007 Nothing's ever perfect
by Words: 590 Photos: 0
- August 15th 2007 The process of letting go
by Words: 783 Photos: 1
- July 26th 2007 In love with travel books
by Words: 522 Photos: 0