Background: Great Britain, the dominant industrial and maritime power of the 19th century, played a leading role in developing parliamentary democracy and in advancing literature and science. At its zenith, the British Empire stretched over one-fourth of the earth's surface. The first half of the 20th century saw the UK's strength seriously depleted in two World Wars. The second half witnessed the dismantling of the Empire and the UK rebuilding itself into a modern and prosperous European nation. As one of five permanent members of the UN Security Council, a founding member of NATO, and of the Commonwealth, the UK pursues a global approach to foreign policy; it currently is weighing the degree of its integration with continental Europe. A member of the EU, it chose to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union for the time being. Constitutional reform is also a significant issue in the UK. The Scottish Parliament, the National Assembly for Wales, and the Northern Ireland Assembly were established in 1999, but the latter is suspended due to bickering over the peace process.
Photos from Great Bookham
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Great Bookham
Latest Blogs from Great Bookham
- March 31st 2012 1 day left!
by Words: 145 Photos: 2
- March 19th 2012 12 days to go
by Words: 56 Photos: 0
- July 5th 2005 C 'arn The Blues!!
by Words: 180 Photos: 0
- June 25th 2005 Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????
by Words: 431 Photos: 0
- June 18th 2005 Long night on High Street
by Words: 1199 Photos: 0
- June 11th 2005 Mindless dribble from me...............
by Words: 444 Photos: 0
- June 4th 2005 Go Kostya Go!
by Words: 395 Photos: 0
- May 21st 2005 Sweet FA ....................(cup day)
by Words: 222 Photos: 0
- May 19th 2005 Jp wings it on his ownsome
by Words: 150 Photos: 0