Background: Great Britain, the dominant industrial and maritime power of the 19th century, played a leading role in developing parliamentary democracy and in advancing literature and science. At its zenith, the British Empire stretched over one-fourth of the earth's surface. The first half of the 20th century saw the UK's strength seriously depleted in two World Wars. The second half witnessed the dismantling of the Empire and the UK rebuilding itself into a modern and prosperous European nation. As one of five permanent members of the UN Security Council, a founding member of NATO, and of the Commonwealth, the UK pursues a global approach to foreign policy; it currently is weighing the degree of its integration with continental Europe. A member of the EU, it chose to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union for the time being. Constitutional reform is also a significant issue in the UK. The Scottish Parliament, the National Assembly for Wales, and the Northern Ireland Assembly were established in 1999, but the latter is suspended due to bickering over the peace process.
Photos from Putney
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Putney
Latest Blogs from Putney
- September 15th 2013 England
by Words: 858 Photos: 0
- September 4th 2013 What the Dickens!!
by Words: 905 Photos: 17
- October 30th 2012 London Town
by Words: 301 Photos: 0
- September 7th 2011 The Challenge Ahead...
by Words: 559 Photos: 3
- September 7th 2011 Fundraising target reached and ready to go!!
by Words: 105 Photos: 3
- April 25th 2011 Last Day in London
by Words: 230 Photos: 0
- April 24th 2011 Hot Days in London
by Words: 323 Photos: 23
- January 11th 2011 Running down memory lane...
by Words: 189 Photos: 0
- December 25th 2010 I'm dreaming of a White Christmas...
by Words: 308 Photos: 38
- November 7th 2010 Our Putney Pad
by Words: 105 Photos: 17
- November 7th 2010 Our First Foray into Blogging
by Words: 151 Photos: 1
- October 3rd 2010 Hasta mañana till we meet again, don't know where, don't know when
by Words: 129 Photos: 0
- September 30th 2010 The history book on a shelf is always repeating itself
by Words: 102 Photos: 0
- August 24th 2009 travelblog sunday 23rd august
by Words: 120 Photos: 0
- April 24th 2009 Welcome to my new travelblog!
by Words: 115 Photos: 0
- March 30th 2009 Bday surprises and tourist stories!
by Words: 1360 Photos: 6
- January 28th 2009 London for fun
by Words: 412 Photos: 0
- September 26th 2008 Farewell Europe
by Words: 354 Photos: 4
- August 16th 2008 Leaving the UK
by Words: 104 Photos: 1
- August 4th 2008 London
by Words: 286 Photos: 10