Background: Two centuries of Viking raids into Europe tapered off following the adoption of Christianity by King Olav TRYGGVASON in 994. Conversion of the Norwegian kingdom occurred over the next several decades. In 1397, Norway was absorbed into a union with Denmark that was to last for more than four centuries. In 1814, Norwegians resisted the cession of their country to Sweden and adopted a new constitution. Sweden then invaded Norway but agreed to let Norway keep its constitution in return for accepting the union under a Swedish king. Rising nationalism throughout the 19th century led to a 1905 referendum granting Norway independence. Although Norway remained neutral in World War I, it suffered heavy losses to its shipping. Norway proclaimed its neutrality at the outset of World War II, but was nonetheless occupied for five years by Nazi Germany (1940-45). In 1949, neutrality was abandoned and Norway became a member of NATO. Discovery of oil and gas in adjacent waters in the late 1960s boosted Norway's economic fortunes. The current focus is on containing spending on the extensive welfare system and planning for the time when petroleum reserves are depleted. In referenda held in 1972 and 1994, Norway rejected joining the EU.
Photos from Trondheim
Blogs from Trondheim
Latest Blogs from Trondheim
- January 3rd 2011 January 1, 2011
by Words: 336 Photos: 2
- August 14th 2010 Molde - Atlantic Route - Trondheim - Zweden
by Words: 485 Photos: 15
- August 11th 2010 Moeizaam vertrek
by Words: 228 Photos: 1
- August 10th 2010 Trondheim 2
by Words: 173 Photos: 1
- August 9th 2010 Trondheim 1
by Words: 200 Photos: 1
- August 8th 2010 Aankomst Trondheim
by Words: 384 Photos: 1
- July 1st 2010 Alesund to Trondheim via the Altantic Road NORWAY
by Words: 397 Photos: 7
- June 27th 2010 Trondheim; charming and absolutely beautiful!
by Words: 946 Photos: 0
- June 26th 2010 Lillehammer to Trondheim
by Words: 295 Photos: 0
- October 26th 2009 Nidaros Cathedral in Trondheim
by Words: 570 Photos: 12
- October 26th 2009 Tackling Trondheim & the GRE
by Words: 1926 Photos: 55
- July 20th 2009 Norway
by Words: 102 Photos: 0
- May 23rd 2009 Our Norwegian Cultural Immersion Program
by Words: 247 Photos: 13
- October 15th 2008 Trondheim
by Words: 444 Photos: 0
- August 1st 2008 Fauske-Trondheim
by Words: 831 Photos: 8
- July 31st 2008 Vikings at last!
by Words: 700 Photos: 12
- July 28th 2008 I Got High On Mountains!
by Words: 1490 Photos: 0
- July 21st 2008 Trondheim is beautiful!
by Words: 270 Photos: 6
- July 1st 2008 A long drag to Trondheim and a 100 mile day (ug)
by Words: 799 Photos: 15
- June 30th 2008 Geiranger and Trollstigen... keep 'em coming!
by Words: 395 Photos: 23