Two centuries of Viking raids into Europe tapered off following the adoption of Christianity by King Olav TRYGGVASON in 994. Conversion of the Norwegian kingdom occurred over the next several decades. In 1397, Norway was absorbed into a union with Denmark that was to last for more than four centuries. In 1814, Norwegians resisted the cession of their country to Sweden and adopted a new constitution. Sweden then invaded Norway but agreed to let Norway keep its constitution in return for accepting the union under a Swedish king. Rising nationalism throughout the 19th century led to a 1905 referendum granting Norway independence. Although Norway remained neutral in World War I, it suffered heavy losses to its shipping. Norway proclaimed its neutrality at the outset of World War II, but was nonetheless occupied for five years by Nazi Germany (1940-45). In 1949, neutrality was abandoned and Norway became a member of NATO. Discovery of oil and gas in adjacent waters in the late 1960s boosted Norway's economic fortunes. The current focus is on containing spending on the extensive welfare system and planning for the time when petroleum reserves are depleted. In referenda held in 1972 and 1994, Norway rejected joining the EU. To be updated
• To be updated • • • • • • • • •
Tips and Hints
To be updated
Photos from Norway
Blogs from Norway
Latest Blogs from Norway
- May 20th 2013 Snow Hotel, Norway
by Words: 385 Photos: 5
- April 30th 2013 Alesund - reasumacja.
by Words: 302 Photos: 6
- April 29th 2013 Pieszo na ryby wilkolaki.
by Words: 758 Photos: 10
- April 28th 2013 Fiordy w osobie wlasnej.
by Words: 393 Photos: 17
- April 27th 2013 W kapciach do Norwegii.
by Words: 676 Photos: 16
- April 7th 2013 Oslo
by Words: 1112 Photos: 20
- March 31st 2013 The Scream
by Words: 899 Photos: 3
- March 30th 2013 Little hot head
by Words: 1314 Photos: 4
- March 29th 2013 You're in Oslo? Nor-way!
by Words: 820 Photos: 4
- March 4th 2013 Memories from the Arctic Circle Adventure
by Words: 1069 Photos: 33
- January 24th 2013 Frozen Norwegian Shrimps
by Words: 143 Photos: 1
- November 28th 2012 Oslo
by Words: 909 Photos: 11
- November 26th 2012 Arctic Region: Norway 6-2012
by Words: 2216 Photos: 12
- November 21st 2012 Oslo - massive clocks on buildings & lots of shops
by Words: 251 Photos: 78
- November 19th 2012 Norway cross country bus journey from Bergen to Oslo
by Words: 206 Photos: 53
- November 17th 2012 Oslo
by Words: 61 Photos: 62
- November 15th 2012 Bergen home of the fjords, mini markets, hills and rain!
by Words: 238 Photos: 48
- November 6th 2012 Reunited and it feeels so goood!
by Words: 618 Photos: 7
- November 2nd 2012 Goodbyes, goodbyes, goodbyes....
by Words: 579 Photos: 8
- October 16th 2012 Entry #3: I beat Nordkapp, but Knivskjelodden beat me.
by Words: 1538 Photos: 0