Background: Celtic tribes arrived on the island between 600-150 B.C. Invasions by Norsemen that began in the late 8th century were finally ended when King Brian BORU defeated the Danes in 1014. English invasions began in the 12th century and set off more than seven centuries of Anglo-Irish struggle marked by fierce rebellions and harsh repressions. A failed 1916 Easter Monday Rebellion touched off several years of guerrilla warfare that in 1921 resulted in independence from the UK for 26 southern counties; six northern (Ulster) counties remained part of the United Kingdom. In 1948 Ireland withdrew from the British Commonwealth; it joined the European Community in 1973. Irish governments have sought the peaceful unification of Ireland and have cooperated with Britain against terrorist groups. A peace settlement for Northern Ireland, known as the Good Friday Agreement and approved in 1998, is being implemented with some difficulties.
Photos from County Kildare
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from County Kildare
Latest Blogs from County Kildare
- August 26th 2012 First Stop: Lockes Distillery. (Hic)...Good beginning Aye.....
by Words: 160 Photos: 4
- February 29th 2012 The Excitement
by Words: 214 Photos: 0
- July 29th 2009 The pre-trip pre-packing update
by Words: 123 Photos: 0
- July 10th 2009 Oink !!! On the high road.
by Words: 334 Photos: 6
- May 19th 2009 last minute things to do....
by Words: 70 Photos: 0
- December 18th 2008 Ready...set...GO!!!
by Words: 545 Photos: 1
- December 8th 2008 We have arrived!
by Words: 782 Photos: 21
- September 15th 2007 Cheap flight to Ireland, old castles, big cliffs, and sunshine to boot !
by Words: 854 Photos: 38
- June 30th 2007 Bon Voyage (Recovered)
by Words: 304 Photos: 14
- September 13th 2006 Day 20: It's a Small World After All
by Words: 1433 Photos: 11