Background: As Europe's largest economy and most populous nation, Germany remains a key member of the continent's economic, political, and defense organizations. European power struggles immersed Germany in two devastating World Wars in the first half of the 20th century and left the country occupied by the victorious Allied powers of the US, UK, France, and the Soviet Union in 1945. With the advent of the Cold War, two German states were formed in 1949: the western Federal Republic of Germany (FRG) and the eastern German Democratic Republic (GDR). The democratic FRG embedded itself in key Western economic and security organizations, the EC, which became the EU, and NATO, while the Communist GDR was on the front line of the Soviet-led Warsaw Pact. The decline of the USSR and the end of the Cold War allowed for German unification in 1990. Since then, Germany has expended considerable funds to bring Eastern productivity and wages up to Western standards. In January 1999, Germany and 10 other EU countries introduced a common European exchange currency, the euro.
Photos from Aachen
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Aachen
Latest Blogs from Aachen
- April 29th 2013 Aachen & Vaals, Netherlands
by Words: 1418 Photos: 0
- March 27th 2013 Germany*Aachen
by Words: 72 Photos: 48
- January 12th 2013 Settling in, and.....Germany!
by Words: 841 Photos: 4
- April 8th 2012 Ahhh...chen
by Words: 607 Photos: 19
- September 14th 2011 Aachen; The Stairway to Heaven
by Words: 721 Photos: 0
- May 30th 2011 Hostel
by Words: 473 Photos: 0
- November 18th 2010 Ein Stipendium für Indien
by Words: 732 Photos: 2
- November 17th 2010 Christmas is coming!
by Words: 848 Photos: 2
- July 2nd 2010 Aachen
by Words: 545 Photos: 6
- June 16th 2010 Achtung! Hochspannung!
by Words: 227 Photos: 0
- June 12th 2010 Cathedrals, & schnitzel, & rain, oh my!
by Words: 763 Photos: 5
- October 18th 2009 Was bisher geschah
by Words: 66 Photos: 0
- July 18th 2009 Five Countries in One Day!! - Day 1
by Words: 1933 Photos: 25
- June 30th 2009 Charlemagne & the medieval Kings of Germany
by Words: 231 Photos: 10
- September 7th 2008 Day 23 - Aachen, Germany
by Words: 152 Photos: 4
- September 6th 2008 Day 21&22 - Aachen, Germany
by Words: 231 Photos: 8
- August 8th 2008 So much to say!
by Words: 518 Photos: 0
- August 7th 2008 Finally
by Words: 26 Photos: 0
- August 6th 2008 Here we go...
by Words: 379 Photos: 2
- July 25th 2008 Aachen, Germany--We are really in hot water again
by Words: 1110 Photos: 8