Archipielago de San Blas
Background: With US backing, Panama seceded from Colombia in 1903 and promptly signed a treaty with the US allowing for the construction of a canal and US sovereignty over a strip of land on either side of the structure (the Panama Canal Zone). The Panama Canal was built by the US Army Corps of Engineers between 1904 and 1914. On 7 September 1977, an agreement was signed for the complete transfer of the Canal from the US to Panama by the end of 1999. Certain portions of the Zone and increasing responsibility over the Canal were turned over in the intervening years. With US help, dictator Manuel NORIEGA was deposed in 1989. The entire Panama Canal, the area supporting the Canal, and remaining US military bases were turned over to Panama by or on 31 December 1999.
Photos from Archipielago de San Blas
Blogs from Archipielago de San Blas
Latest Blogs from Archipielago de San Blas
- March 1st 2013 Sailing in the Caribbean...as much fun as it sounds!
by Words: 2202 Photos: 13
- November 12th 2012 A slice of Israel in Central America- San Blas Islands
by Words: 576 Photos: 106
- October 26th 2012 La visite de la rivière nommée Rio Sidra dans les Sanblas au Panama
by Words: 132 Photos: 11
- July 30th 2012 Captain Gato
by Words: 749 Photos: 0
- July 15th 2012 Sailing Away - Colombia to Panama
by Words: 1359 Photos: 20
- June 24th 2012 Out and about in a boat!!
by Words: 1359 Photos: 38
- May 28th 2012 Sun, Sailing, Seasickness & Sand Flies in San Blas
by Words: 638 Photos: 6
- March 15th 2012 Epic Fail in the San Blas Islands....
by Words: 965 Photos: 24
- March 14th 2012 Sailing adventures from Panama to Colombia
by Words: 3199 Photos: 46
- November 12th 2011 San Blas?...... No, San Bliss!
by Words: 1405 Photos: 39
- October 5th 2011 A hop skip and a jump to Colombia
by Words: 761 Photos: 0
- May 18th 2011 Sailing in the wake of pirates & drug smugglers
by Words: 1800 Photos: 31
- May 5th 2011 Panama City to Mulatupo, Kuna Yala
by Words: 1459 Photos: 9
- February 17th 2011 Stahlratte is back in Coco Bandero
by Words: 36 Photos: 0
- February 14th 2011 sailing the caribbean
by Words: 3539 Photos: 37
- February 11th 2011 ARCHIPIELAGO DE SAN BLAS Y LOS KUNAS
by Words: 947 Photos: 5
- February 4th 2011 Stahlratte is back in Coco Bandero!!!
by Words: 23 Photos: 0
- February 3rd 2011 On anchor in chichime/san blas.
by Words: 9 Photos: 0
- February 1st 2011 on the way back to san blas
by Words: 38 Photos: 0
- November 17th 2010 San Blas, paradise on earth!!!!!!!!!!!
by Words: 1178 Photos: 0