Background: The Maya civilization flourished in Guatemala and surrounding regions during the first millennium A.D. After almost three centuries as a Spanish colony, Guatemala won its independence in 1821. During the second half of the 20th century, it experienced a variety of military and civilian governments as well as a 36-year guerrilla war. In 1996, the government signed a peace agreement formally ending the conflict, which had left more than 100,000 people dead and had created some 1 million refugees.
Photos from Chiquimula
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Chiquimula
Latest Blogs from Chiquimula
- June 8th 2013 This working life
by Words: 1680 Photos: 5
- June 8th 2013 A typical day?
by Words: 2745 Photos: 12
- April 24th 2013 Adios Dieta - a Trip to Ocumblá
by Words: 1168 Photos: 5
- April 20th 2013 A day in the life of a noisy country
by Words: 912 Photos: 3
- April 19th 2013 Welcome to the oven
by Words: 1472 Photos: 6
- April 9th 2013 One of those days
by Words: 1169 Photos: 6
- March 30th 2013 Country-hopping
by Words: 603 Photos: 0
- December 7th 2008 Enter Guatemala
by Words: 1574 Photos: 19
- October 7th 2008 Going solo
by Words: 803 Photos: 0
- August 21st 2008 A nightly visit by a young lady.
by Words: 511 Photos: 0
- April 19th 2008 ACCSO: The difference a war makes
by Words: 2954 Photos: 5
- June 25th 2007 the long bus ride home
by Words: 586 Photos: 0
- July 18th 2006 2 countries, 1 busride from hell, and a Black Jesus
by Words: 625 Photos: 4
- July 17th 2006 One long bus, a Two headed baby, And an extra country.
by Words: 941 Photos: 0