Background: Arawak Indians inhabited the islands when Christopher Columbus first set foot in the New World on San Salvador in 1492. British settlement of the islands began in 1647; the islands became a colony in 1783. Since attaining independence from the UK in 1973, The Bahamas have prospered through tourism and international banking and investment management. Because of its geography, the country is a major transshipment point for illegal drugs, particularly shipments to the US, and its territory is used for smuggling illegal migrants into the US.
Photos from Long Island
Blogs from Long Island
Latest Blogs from Long Island
- February 16th 2011 On to Long Island
by Words: 1067 Photos: 27
- April 8th 2009 Adieu les Bahamas
by Words: 2377 Photos: 44
- March 21st 2009 Le 21 mars, c'est le printemps!!!
by Words: 930 Photos: 53
- February 16th 2009 About Time Winter Island Hopping, Sailing, Beaches and Fishing
by Words: 671 Photos: 22
- February 10th 2009 On prend racine!!
by Words: 112 Photos: 12
- February 16th 2008 Race To Long Island
by Words: 965 Photos: 15
- February 10th 2008 About Time goes to Long Island
by Words: 903 Photos: 20
- March 17th 2007 Flying Fish Marina
by Words: 64 Photos: 3