Background: Arawak Indians inhabited the islands when Christopher Columbus first set foot in the New World on San Salvador in 1492. British settlement of the islands began in 1647; the islands became a colony in 1783. Since attaining independence from the UK in 1973, The Bahamas have prospered through tourism and international banking and investment management. Because of its geography, the country is a major transshipment point for illegal drugs, particularly shipments to the US, and its territory is used for smuggling illegal migrants into the US.
Photos from Bahamas
Blogs from Bahamas
Latest Blogs from Bahamas
- November 19th 2013 HALF MOON CAY, BAHAMAS AND A SAIL PAST HAITI--Tuesday and Wednesday, November 19-20, 2013
by Words: 774 Photos: 23
- November 14th 2013 Another breezy island day
by Words: 487 Photos: 0
- November 13th 2013 A bit breezy these Bahamas
by Words: 264 Photos: 0
- November 12th 2013 Great stirrup key, Bahamas baby!
by Words: 442 Photos: 0
- September 15th 2013 Visite virtuelle de One Life
by Words: 22 Photos: 0
- September 7th 2013 Les Bahamas pour 2013-2014
by Words: 45 Photos: 48
- July 25th 2013 Grand Turk!! Amazing experience
by Words: 242 Photos: 10
- June 3rd 2013 Bahama break in Exuma
by Words: 270 Photos: 50
- May 17th 2013 Read on you scurvy dogs, soon we be meeting Blackbeard!
by Words: 1286 Photos: 23
- April 7th 2013 Cruising the Bahamas...Literally
by Words: 3276 Photos: 18
- March 29th 2013 Update from Whisper
by Words: 1124 Photos: 15
- March 11th 2013 An visit to the Atlantis aquarium
by Words: 387 Photos: 17
- March 9th 2013 Bye Bye Bimini, Hello Nassau
by Words: 450 Photos: 11
- March 3rd 2013 Bahama brrrr
by Words: 657 Photos: 24
- February 24th 2013 Bimini!
by Words: 434 Photos: 7
- January 30th 2013 Bahamas?
by Words: 1647 Photos: 36
- January 1st 2013 Bonne Année 2013!!!
by Words: 31 Photos: 37
- December 20th 2012 Joyeux Noel en direct des Exumas au Bahamas
by Words: 381 Photos: 16
- December 7th 2012 Un moment mémorable!
by Words: 314 Photos: 8
- November 30th 2012 Enfin les Exumas
by Words: 99 Photos: 15