Harbour Island, paradise...only for those in the known!


Advertisement
Published: July 31st 2023
Edit Blog Post

On which island in the Caribbean do tourist say hello when they come across you or other tourists on the beach...irrelevant if they arrived with their own jet or on commercial! This is how special Harbour Island is! This is a small paradise like no other. I've never seen any place like this in the area where locals as well as tourists are so friendly to each others.

The you have never heard about this place is pretty normal. Imagine, only 5 blogs on Travelblog about this place, last one back in 2011...writing by no other than....you guess!

This place is actually super easy to access, but the super limited amount of beds available makes it super private. Today, most will arrive by private jets and rent they own villa if they don't own one. You will find it hard to rent a three bedroom villa for less than 10,000usd a week...and that's just a starting price!



Flights are from Miami on AA, or Silver Wings partnering with United from Fort Lauderdale. You also have few flights directly to Nassau, the capital of the Bahamas. From MIA/FLL, the flight is less than an hour on a turbo prop! Forget about a cheap deal here too! Next, you take a taxi to the little pier, 5 minutes drive to board the communal boat to the island! Interesting point, the price of the taxi as well as the boat hasn't change in 12 years! Nice!



Back then....and still today, the place for me to stay is the Landing. This time, we have picked one of the top room, and what a dream it was! Once you try to compare withe the current prices charged in NY or Miami, this is actually a bargain for what it is. First rule....book early, big time!



Our room, which is the only one standing on the top floor of one of the three buildings is simply stunning! We both just loved it and spent some truly quality time here.



What is there to do on Harbour Island...the Sand Pink beach, 5 kilometers long is what people mainly come for here! Few people on a huge beach...over the top quality pink fluffy sand! I've been around a little, stay on some of the best beaches in the world, this is easily in the top 10!

So yes, we did spend a lot of time on the beach...swimming, relaxing and walking it each day from one end to the other!

This is also the place where I did my first ever proper dive! No contact at the time, I didn't see much. I dived it back on my last visit...found out it was a pretty below average dive site...for a very hefty price tag, so this time I did not even bother trying to dive Harbour Island!



Food has always been crazy expensive here. Normal if you come by private jet or on your big yacht, 70usd for a main course is the norm! We are not here for this...so you won't see any spectacular meal. We did travel only with our carry-on bags...so no transport of any wine bottle either. The 2 or 3 wine bottles shops have an impressive choice of top shelve French wine and Champagne, you guess this goes in line with the crowds!


Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.032s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb