Background: Arawak Indians inhabited the islands when Christopher Columbus first set foot in the New World on San Salvador in 1492. British settlement of the islands began in 1647; the islands became a colony in 1783. Since attaining independence from the UK in 1973, The Bahamas have prospered through tourism and international banking and investment management. Because of its geography, the country is a major transshipment point for illegal drugs, particularly shipments to the US, and its territory is used for smuggling illegal migrants into the US.
Photos from Harbor Island
Blogs from Harbor Island
Latest Blogs from Harbor Island
- July 5th 2011 Back to my first love...
by Words: 1319 Photos: 70
- June 12th 2010 Bahamas part II - Harbour Island
by Words: 863 Photos: 14
- June 5th 2008 Where you can just Day Dream: Pink Sand Beach
by Words: 220 Photos: 9
- December 31st 2005 Gilberte's 80th Bday in the Bahamas - 26 December 2005-2 January, 2006
by Words: 268 Photos: 21
- December 26th 2005 Noel 2005: Harbour Island for Gilberte's Birthday
by Words: 476 Photos: 16