Noel 2005: Harbour Island for Gilberte's Birthday


Advertisement
Published: August 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

The Trip Down

Southwest and then Gulfstream Airlinesn

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Junkanoo Band New Year's Day 161 secs
Pink Sands Beach AgainPink Sands Beach AgainPink Sands Beach Again

Another look, better color depth here.

Flying In to North Eleuthera


So close yet so far, we flew down to FLL which was nuts and finally got into this rattle trap. The family took up half the airplane. But if anyone ever needed a beach vacation, we did, look at those mugs. The only way to get into Harbour Island, in many ways as exclusive as St. Barths, is via plane to North Eleuthera followed by a ferry ride to Harbour Island which sits 2 miles across the bay.


Harbour Island & Dumore Town


Forget Nassau, Freeport, Paradise Island, Coco Key, and any of the other cruise ship islands. If you want to see some great islands, go to the other Bahamanian islands. You truly feel some of the old English colonial spirit and there are not the cruise ship loads coming in spoiling the peace and drawing in the garbage tourist shops. Dunmore Town is magnificently quiet and is frequented by the few resort-goers on the island as well as private yacht owners who know where to find a good thing. The yachts docked at the island were all very impressive and were from all over the world.


Coral Sands Hotel


Having looked around at the different hotels on the island, even sneaking in to the neighboring Pink Sands Resort despite the fact that they had tight security because some movie star was staying there. Walking into town one day we figured out who it was, none other than Richard Gere riding on a golf cart into town as well.

The staff is very friendly at Coral Sands, the rooms simple, but clean and comfortable. The best part is really the Terrace Restaurant which had great food, and the Beach Bar which overlooks the beautiful Pink Sands beach and had the best Pina Coladas. The beach easily competes against the best beach we saw at St. Barthelemy and the coral reef some 50 feet from shore is amazing. Poor Jennifer spent the whole time doing Crazy Ivans (from Red October) to see if there were any sharks in her baffles.


Memories


We were here to celebrate Mamy Gilberte's birthday and had a nice dinner and celebration for the occasion.

There is not much to see in the video, but the music is wonderful, and this was probably the best night where they treated us to a great champagne dinner at the
Coral Sands Resort: Our RoomCoral Sands Resort: Our RoomCoral Sands Resort: Our Room

Large balcony and french doors to the bedroom.
junkanoo band came through the hotel, drawing in the whole island, see the video above. I am not sure what tune they were playing but it was great!

We also went out on a snorkeling expedition and to a beach on the north side of the bay closer to Spanish Wells where our guide grilled up some lobster tails on the beach.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

View from the RoomView from the Room
View from the Room

We were on the second floor, this is the view from the rather large balcony.
Beach Bar at Coral Sands ResortBeach Bar at Coral Sands Resort
Beach Bar at Coral Sands Resort

The beachside bar of the hotel. Pina Colada's . . . yum!
Pink Sands Beach SunrisePink Sands Beach Sunrise
Pink Sands Beach Sunrise

Can't get enough shots of this.
Every Morning RitualEvery Morning Ritual
Every Morning Ritual

Our morning breakfast spot.
Helmut and MamyHelmut and Mamy
Helmut and Mamy

On her birthday night.
Junkanoo Band New Year'sJunkanoo Band New Year's
Junkanoo Band New Year's

Tremendous cacophony when they were inside but it sounded great. They went all over the island like this.
Dunmore Town from the BayDunmore Town from the Bay
Dunmore Town from the Bay

On our way to snorkeling and lobster beach grilling.
Lobster Grilling BeachLobster Grilling Beach
Lobster Grilling Beach

Located on north side of the bay.
Grilling the LobstersGrilling the Lobsters
Grilling the Lobsters

Tasty, tasty. Forget the captain's name but he was a real nice guy.
View from the Beach BarView from the Beach Bar
View from the Beach Bar

Pina Colada, Pina Colada, Pina Colada, shot of Meyer's Dark Rum on top, yum!
Pink Sands BeachPink Sands Beach
Pink Sands Beach

Last shot, hasta la vista :-(
Mooring at Dunmore TownMooring at Dunmore Town
Mooring at Dunmore Town

Taken on the last evening while explored Dunmore town.
Frownie FacesFrownie Faces
Frownie Faces

Despite the frowns, we look better than when we got here.


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 20; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb